Chapter Five

I've already made my decision, and I don't think you all would mind . . . I plan on finishing this book before I work on the others again. "The Creators Saga" would be finished within two cycles, and "Apocalypse Rising" in three. I would rather get a head start back on "Living In Time And Space" before I finish those.

So, anyway, as I promised . . . chapter five!

***

Bruce walked out of the bathroom, then stopped when he found Saleen waiting for him, her arms crossed. "I didn't realize you were waiting," he said.

"I would've joined you," Saleen tilted her head, "but, uh . . . it didn't seem like the right time."

"They used up all the hot water."

"I should've joined you."

"Missed our window."

"Did we?" Saleen tilted her head.

"The world just saw the Hulk," Bruce looked away. "The real Hulk, for the first time. You know I have to leave."

"But you assume that I have to stay?"

"Did you dream?" Bruce turned to her.

She paused. "No."

"But you're blaming yourself for not having one."

She sighed. "Yes."

"I think you're being too hard on yourself."

"Here I was hoping that was your job." She stepped closer to Bruce. "I got some feedback from a friend. I was thinking about it for a while."

"What are you doing?" Bruce frowned.

"I'm running with it, with you," she shrugged. "If running's the plan, as far as you want."

"Are you out of your mind?" Bruce turned away.

Saleen huffed. "I want you to understand that I'm - "

"Saleen, where can I go?" Bruce turned to her. "Where in the world am I not a threat?"

"You're not a threat to me."

"You sure? Even if I didn't just . . . " He sighed. "There's no future for me. I can't ever . . . I can't have this," he gestured to the house in general. "Kids. Do the math. I physically can't."

"Does being unable to have kids make you a monster?" Saleen scowled. "Then we have three more monsters on the team."

"What?" Bruce turned to her.

"Natasha and I do talk, Bruce," Saleen shook her head. "When she became an assassin, when they had their 'graduation ceremony,' they sterilized her. She can't have children either. Apparently, it's one less thing to worry about. That does not make you a monster." She looked away. "And I think it might be a reason why Jessie left as well."

"She went with Thor, to figure out their visions," Bruce frowned.

"She could have easily learned from Thor what he found," Saleen turned back to him, tears in her eyes. "They've been married for years now, and have you never wondered why they don't have children? It would take being a full Time Lord for Jessie to have a child. The Doctor and Jessie cannot have a child because even though Jessie has Time Lord in her, it's not enough. As long as Jessie is half Time Lord, they can never have a family. Did you know that?"

"No," Bruce's eyes widened, and he looked out the window to see the Doctor silently observing Steve and Tony chopping wood.

"You're not a monster, Bruce," Saleen walked up to him. "But if you want to leave because you think so . . . I'll go with you."