Chapter 20

***NOT EDITED***

Ryan was dedicated to the band. He showed up after school everyday. Emily insisting they finish their homework first before spending three hours straight practicing everyday. Sometimes Ryan stood back and ate dinner with them.

"Zayra, tomorrow, can you guys come over to my place?" he wiped the sweat from his face with a towel.

"Umm sure. We'll be there after school."

"I'll drive you guys, you can tell Emily not to bother picking you guys up from school.

"Cool, see ya later." she continued to put the instruments back in their place.

Ryan of course had his own car. Being the rich child of rich parents, it had its perks. Such as the sweet truck that was given to him as his Senior gift. All he had to do was maintain his 3.0 gpa. After that, he was expected to go to college and possibly work with his father.

He was used to having everything and anything. Everyone around him giving in to his whims. He was the youngest child of three. All boys. His father a proud father made sure they didn't want for nothing.

Music lessons, sure.

You want to join baseball, of course.

Then he met Zayra. She was feisty and demanding. She didn't budge an inch and she always told him straight out what she thought of him.

He liked her.

He was getting used to being around her. She was exciting and sad and broken and beautiful. A deadly combination for him. He knew she had a boyfriend an older rich boyfriend from what he gathered.

It didn't matter to him. She didn't show any sign that she liked him more than a friend.

He sighed, the party was in less than two days and he still hadn't convinced Zayra to play with them. He was nervous. He knew he had talent, he know Josh did too, especially now with Zayra but having her around guiding them helped out a lot. He felt like superman playing for her. She saw his talent in her eyes and that made him want to be better.

He was serious when he told her she made them better.

"Zayra, what are your plans for Xmas?" he began to help her out.

"Oh I'm going to Peru."

He looked down at his feet, he knew what was in Peru. Josh had vaguely explained her background to him.

"Nice." he said tightly.

"What about you?" she looked at him, noticed his mood change.

"Uhm, home." he shrugged.

"You don't sound excited."

He twisted his mouth. "I love my family don't get me wrong, it's just that it's always the same you know. My brothers come down with their wives and their kids and tease me about girlfriends and stuff."

"Why don't you take a girlfriend." she had seen him with numerous of pretty girls in school. Ryan was a handsome guy. Dark hair and eyes, light skin. He was tall and wiry, muscles showed definition. She knew he worked out, something a drummer needed to do to keep his stamina.

"I don't have a girlfriend." he looked at her suddenly.

"But you have a lot of girl friends. Why not ask one of them over."

"I was going to ask you."

She paused and looked at him squarely. "Ryan, you know I have a boyfriend."

"Yes." he hissed, he didn't need to be reminded. "I was just hoping you'd be there for support."

"Oh...I see." she smiled at him. "Sorry kid, I have plans. Next time."