{0.0}

Disclaimer:

I still do not own The Maze Runner, but Dylan and Newt are continuously cute af. Just warning you in case you forgot.

-✼-

P R O L O G U E

My slumber was peaceful up until they took Teresa.

The realization that I was destined to be in another group, in another Maze, was enough to keep me awake for a good half an hour. Eventually the fatigue became too much once again and I fell back into a sound slumber. I was lying on the top bunk while Teresa was on the bottom, both of our soft snores filling the otherwise silent room. The air was not too hot nor too cold, but I still felt the necessity to bury myself in the thick blankets. They gave me a sense of security that was disrupted soon enough.

The sound of the door opening woke me up. I was half-asleep, too exhausted to even check who had come inside. My eyelids drooped down and stuck together; it was almost as if they had been sewn shut. Feet shuffled into the room. It was more than one person- four, probably. I turned over on my side and tried to fall back into oblivion.

But then Teresa let out a piercing scream, and all thoughts of sleep were hastily forgotten. I quickly sat straight up with a jolt of terror, heart thudding at the horrified, shrill noise. I noticed four people in lab coats forcefully removing her from her bed. Teresa kicked and thrashed as their gloved hands tried to grab onto her ankles and wrists.

"Hey!" I shouted, causing two of their heads to snap up. Their faces were completely devoid of emotion and they wore surgeon masks, like we had some sort of contagious disease they didn't want to catch. "Let her go!"

It only took a second for me to remove the thick covers and place a hand on the metal railing. Using that to support me, I swung around and landed on the floor in a crouched position, only mere inches from where the others stood. My bare feet stung badly at the sharp contact with the tile floor, but I forced the pain away. Two arms grabbed me by the waist from behind and tried to force me away.

I had a strange instinct click in my mind. When it came to self-defense, it was like any technique was already imprinted in my brain like a blueprint. I immediately dropped to the ground, making it much harder for them to carry my full weight. With one hand I grabbed their middle and index fingers, while my other held their ring and pinky fingers. I pulled hard in opposite directions. They cried out in pain and released me quickly; it was a short drop from how close I was to the floor already.

Turning around, I jabbed the person in the throat with my fingertips, closing their windpipe for a few seconds. I wasted no time in getting to Teresa. She was still screaming and attempting to harm her attackers in any way she could. Her feet kicked in such a way that it made it nearly impossible for them to grab her legs.

"Let me go! Let me go!" she demanded at the top of her lungs. "What're you-" Her sentence was cut off by a long, pained scream that rattled my ears and filled me with panic. One of the people had inserted a needle into her neck, the syringe containing a fiery red liquid. The serum itself told me that something horrible was happening to her.

Before I could react, I felt the sharp prick of a needle in my own skin. This time, however, the liquid was a strange, musky yellow. I could sense my vision swirling as darkness crept into the edges- someone was trying to knock me out. The room turned into a dizzying array of confusion. I stumbled around, trying desperately to reach for something that would prevent my evident fall. The only thing I did was collapse to my knees. My hands barely caught my fall, face inches from the ground that blended together.

My head turned up to see two of the people carrying Teresa out by her arms and legs. Her head flopped awkwardly to the side, eyes rolled into the back of her head- they had knocked her out as well.

"Te-Teresa," I stammered out weakly, feeling my mind churning to mush. My arms buckled beneath the weight of my body. They gave out, forcing me to watch helplessly as my friend was taken from the room and down the dimly lit hallway.

My eyelids closed and I succumbed to the darkness.

gif is dylan in her bed

------

guess who's back, back again? it's me. you don't have to guess.

but anyway yEs dylan is BACK and ready for a whole new adventure. are you excited? i know i am.

stay tuned for the first official chapter!

+dedication: QuickMaximoff because she's my love, light, and friend in real life & she was the one to read the first draft of different and it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it

-kristyn