{1.2}

Disclaimer:

Daaamn, J-Dash! Back at it again killing all the characters I love.

  -✼-

"Mom, I don't want to leave you!"

My brother's cry was getting more annoying each time he said it, tugging on Mommy's hand and sometimes digging his feet into the ground to stop her from walking. My hands wrung together as I followed the strange-looking people with guns up to the gate lined with spirals of metal at the top. The bright lights that shined on us caused them to glint in the otherwise looming darkness.

"I don't want to leave you either, baby, but I have to," she replied sadly, running her fingers through his messy hair. She had woken us up really early in the morning and made us get dressed. She let us have chocolate chip cookies for breakfast, which was weird because she never let us do that, then we took a bus here. I had no idea what was going on.

We kept walking, pushing through the other adults that were yelling loudly. I could see a building ahead of us- it was huge and my eyes widened at the sight of it. I had never seen a building so big. It was a lot for my seven-year-old self to comprehend.

"This is where we stop," one of the men announced gruffly once we approached the gate. My mother took hold of my hand as well as my brother's and bent down so her soft brown eyes could look into ours. Tears rolled down her pale face; her chin wobbled as she looked between us.

"Remember that I love you both, okay?" she said through sniffles. "You stay close to each other. Mommy's sick and she'll never get better, and she doesn't want you to get infected, either, so that's why she's doing this, okay? Maybe you can help cure people like me."

"I don't want to leave you!" My brother screamed over the other people's voices, sobs racking his small body. I used my free hand to entwine my fingers with his. "Mommy, don't leave us like Daddy did!"

Our mother didn't respond. Instead, she lifted us both in her arms and passed each of us to one of the guards. The man's arms squeezed me harder than necessary and I felt tears prick at my eyes as he unlocked the gate. My brother was still screaming, thrashing in his guard's arms and begging them to put him down. I simply stared over the man's shoulder and watched my mother cry as we were taken away.

She said one final thing before the gate closed behind us.

"Stephen, Lucy, I love you!"

I love you too, Mommy.

-/-

A tall lady with dark, wrinkled skin that stood out against her white lab coat came up to me with a needle in her hand. She cleaned the inside of my elbow with a cotton ball, making me shiver at the coldness of her gloved hands and whatever was on the cotton.

"Don't worry, sweetie," she cooed as the needle pricked my skin. I jumped at the stinging sensation. "I'm just taking a little blood."

"Where's my brother?" I asked in a shaking voice, unable to look away from the tube that was being filled with my blood. "Our mommy told us not to get sep - separ -"

"Separated?" the lady asked with a nice smile. "You'll see Stephen soon. He's just with another doctor."

I nodded and sniffed, blinking away the dryness in my eyes from when I had cried. At first, I fought away anyone who tried to come near me after they took my brother, but then this nice woman came and I decided to trust her. She also promised me candy.