{0.2}

Disclaimer:

Cool Valentine's day poem inspired by Minho in The Scorch Trials:

Roses are red
The sky isn't blue
Something's sizzling in the air
Oh, I just got struck by lightning
And the sizzling is my hair

-✼-

My blood went ice cold in my veins. Aris had come from the Maze? In truth, there was no way he could be making it up. The look of complete and utter horror on his face told me enough.

"Maybe you should sit down," Thomas suggested gently, seeming to have warmed up to the kid of about fourteen. "I think we have a lot to talk about."

"What?" Aris questioned. He appeared to be genuinely surprised as to how we were taking the news. "Who are you guys? Where'd you come from?"

An ironic laugh slipped out from Thomas. "The Maze. The Grievers. W.I.C.K.E.D. You name it."

The mention of the Grievers sent a chill down my spine. I hugged my arms around my body- the room felt colder all of a sudden.

Theo flinched as well. I knew that the loss of his closest friend, Garret, had taken a huge toll on him. Especially because of the fact that Garret wasn't supposed to die - he had perished after rescuing Theo - and if I was right, I thought that he felt guilty because of it. The bags beneath his eyes I had noticed earlier were probably caused by how late he stayed up thinking about what had transpired during the day.

"You're lying," Aris accused, his voice dropped to a low whisper. His face went a shade paler.

"No, we're not," Newt replied patiently. "Tommy's right. We need to talk. Sounds like we've come from similar places."

"Who's that guy?"

I followed Aris' gaze to find Minho standing in the doorway with a full pack of Gladers crowded behind him. They all wore similar looks of disgust at the stench in the hallway, and didn't seem to notice the extra face with us.

"That's Minho," I introduced, still shaken from what Aris had revealed. "Um, Minho, meet Aris."

Minho was rendered speechless for one of the first times in his life.

"Look," Newt began, "let's take down this top bed and move some chairs around the room. Then we can all sit and figure out what's bloody going on." He turned his neck up to face me. "You'll have to get down from there, Dyl."

I started to uncross my legs, but Thomas held out a hand and shook his head. "No. First we need to find Teresa. She might be in some other room."

I rolled my eyes at his lack of faith in my word. "How many times do I have to tell you? She's not here."

Minho pointed to me. "She's right. There isn't another room."

Thomas looked puzzled. "What?"

"I just checked the whole place out. There's a big common area, our room, this room, and some seriously shucked doors that lead outside- where we came in from the bus yesterday. Locked and chained from the inside. Doesn't make any sense, but I don't see any other doors or exits."

Thomas shook his head as if trying to wrap his mind around everything that was going on. "But...what about last night? Where'd the food come from? Didn't anyone notice other rooms, a kitchen, anything?"

No one said a word.

"Maybe there's a hidden door," Newt proposed, which was probably one of the dumbest things he'd ever said. "Look, we can only do one thing at a time. We need to-"