Chapter 6-Marriane

Marianne

If I had to sum up my life in one word, it would be 'simple.' No difficulties, no hazards, no uncertainty. Just simple. No one here seems to remember back past the age of 15. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that finds this strange. I worry for hours on end, thinking about what this really could mean. If I told anyone about my feelings towards our world, they would turn me in to 'the eye,' claiming that my genetic makeup was malfunctioning. It's a rare occurrence. After crying myself to sleep, I wake up, and nothing. I forget. Or I'm supposed to anyway. I live in 'Indifference.' It's beautiful really. Perfect. Too perfect. I know I'm a mistake in a science experiment, so when I spotted an odd looking group of newcomers, my world transformed.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

"Marianne, Marianne. Today is just the grandest of days don't you think?" Aubrey takes tentative sips from her tea, careful not to burn her newly painted rose lips.

"Oh, yes...I suppose it is." I gaze out the window of the 'Sarounge Tea Room,' focusing on the petals of a pretty rose in the garden.

"And this tea is just divine."

"Mmm-hmmm."

"Marianne? What colour lip gloss you are wearing?"

"Oh, it's the fushia." Aubrey beams.

"Guess what! My mother said she will buy me the fushia tonight! Oh that will be so grand! We can be the fushia sisters!"

"Sure thing."

"Marianne, are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah. I'm just tired." And bored. I wish we could talk about more than the colour of lip gloss. But, I don't know who I can trust any more.

"Well, why don't we go down to Jubilee Spa and get our nails done. That would be pleasantly enjoyable and relaxing."

"Why not?" I mean, it's not like I have anything better to do. 

..........................................................................................................................................................................

When we walk into Jubilee Spa, the strong stench of nail polish washes over me. It almost instantly makes me feel light headed.

"Good afternoon and welcome to Jubilee Spa. What can we do for you today?"

"Two manicures if you wouldn't mind." The receptionist looks up again. Her plain face lights with an extremely fake and forced smile. 

"Right through there."

 The fact that people can't express real emotion anymore keeps me up at night. 

"Marianne, what colour are you thinking of getting?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well there's the pale pink, the fluorescent pink, the fushia and..." I switch off. I already know what colours there are. Boring colours that express no feeling or personality.

"You know what? I think I'll go for the fushia."

"Oh, then you're lips will match your nails."

"Exactly Aubrey." 

"You know what? I think I will get the fushia too! Oh everyone will think we are twins!" The urge to laugh is hard to resist. But it's worth it. "Come on, let's get going." I follow Aubrey down a white hall into the nails room. We pick the seats by the window and sit ourselves down. We don't have to wait long as a young women comes in with our colours and begins the job. As the coats are being applied, I take the time to look around the place. There are the usual posters that the government puts up everywhere with information about the rules and laws. Printed along the bottom in bold are the words: 'the eye is in charge. Upset the eye and you will pay the price." These words creep me out every time I read them. A siren sounds, the signal to new arrivals. I glance out the window and spot the new comers. "Marianne! Marianne! New comers! Are your nails dry? Quick lets go." I don't object, even though the lady has not even finished the first coat. 

"Yep, let's go." We walk out past reception and make our way towards the door that lead out of this hell. As I get closer, I can see the people. A super gorgeous lady, a goofy and furious looking girl in odd clothing and a ridiculously good looking young man. He seems to have another girl slung over his shoulder.  She looks unconscious. The craziest thing about this group of new comers is the fact that they are different. Why are they here? No blonde shoulder length hair or perfect skin. God I wish I could remember how I was before this. Perhaps they are our savior.