Chapter 2

Connor drove as fast as humanly possible to the Keating house without drawing attention to police cars. The last thing he needed was to explain this situation to the police.

Before Connor pulled into the driveway, he checked for cars. The only car here was his, which means Anneliese isn't home. Maybe this will turn out well after all Connor thought as he breathed a sigh of relief

He entered the house quietly and slowly, making absolutely certain that no one was home. The door was unlocked, thankfully Frank was a forgetful block head sometimes.

Connor made his way into Anneliese's office and started searching through the drawers for any sign of a flash drive or something that could contain a video.

"It's a little late for a social call Mr. Walsh"

Connor felt his breath get stuck in his throat. He raised his head slowly until he was eye level with his boss, Anneliese Keating.

"Your car isn't here. How did you get home?" Connor asked sheepishly

"Eve drove me home. We had a night out. Is there something I can help you with Walsh?" The professor asked, her words coming out slurred.

"Have you been drinking?" Connor asked with false worry

"Me and Bonnie. We had a uh... A bit of a falling out"

"Well. Maybe she finally saw the real you" Connor accused.

"Connor. I had nothing to do with what happened to Oliver. You can't blame me-"

"No I can blame you! Every time something in my life goes wrong, its all connected to you!" Connor practically spat the words, "you say you want to protect us but all you do is put us in danger! You made me reach out to Oliver, you got him involved in this. It was your job to protect him too so don't you DARE say none of this was your fault!"

Anneliese looked genuinely sorry, although Connor couldn't tell if it was real or just the alcohol.

"What did you come here for?" Anneliese asked, changing the subject.

"I'm looking for something. I thought I left my flash drive here so I came back to get it"

"You drove out here at 1am to get your flash drive?"

"It's important. I need it for a class on Monday"

Anneliese seemed skeptical, but the booze must've changed her mind.

"I'll go look in the living room. Wait here."

With that she left and closed the massive doors behind her. Connor let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding and began to quietly search through the drawers again. He had checked all of them except for the one that was always locked at the bottom right of the desk.

He wanted to look around for a key but figured Anneliese would never put it in the same room as the drawer. He silently cursed as he began to think of what else he could do.

He heard Anneliese moving in the living room and knew he has to hurry before his chance at saving Oliver was lost.

He tried to remember anything that would help, and he thought back to the one time Frank had actually locked the front door but he and Michaela had to get in the house for the homework assignment they had left there. Michaela had no choice but to pick the lock on the front door and force it open. Connor had saw how she did it and thought he could copy her technique.

He took out the skinny pocket knife he now carried around with him ever since Phillip had broken into he and Oliver's apartment. He stuck one end into the lock and took a paper clip off of a file on the desk and quickly got it open. He slowly opened the drawer and inside were two flash drives. One was marked "TL" and the other "meet Bonnie"

Connor was curious about the "Meet Bonnie" drive, but picked the other one up, knowing "TL" stood for Trotter Lake. The timing couldn't have been more perfect for as soon as he locked the drawer again and stuffed the drive in his pocket, Anneliese opened the double oak doors and entered the office.

"I couldn't find it, I looked everywhere. If you want me to keep looking-"

"No, its fine. I'll just get it another time" Connor left without saying another word.

Not even the second he walked out of the house, he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He took it out and saw that Phillip texted him

"Meet at the old warehouses out by 37th st. Ollie says hey!"

Connor was holding back a scream of anger as he got into his car and started driving to his destination. On the way, he started thinking about the whole situation.

Why does Phillip want to know about Trotter Lake? And why did he choose Connor to do all this? He would get answers from Phillip, one way or another.

Connor pulled into the parking lot of one of the warehouses and got out, walking around a few of the houses until he heard a childish laugh coming from one of them. The door on the warehouse closest to him opened slowly and out came a very happy yet threatening looking Phillip.

"Hello Connor. Welcome to the party!"