Chapter 5 (final)

Anneliese and Oliver rushed Connor to the closest hospital, quickly shouting for doctors or for someone to help. A tall man in lab coat hurried towards them and quickly got a gurney for the barley conscious Connor and pushed him into surgery. Oliver tried to follow but was stopped by a nurse and was asked to sit in the waiting room for news. That was the last thing Oliver wanted to do. He wanted to stay with Connor but obeyed the nurses wishes and sat with Anneliese.

Oliver sat next to Anneliese and played through tonights events.

Tiffany, the victim at Ashers party, was Phillips adopted sister. That explains why he went after the brother and sister. He came after Oliver because he found out his hiding place and Connor was the easiest puppet to use this way. The flash drive. Connor stole it from Anneliese but there was nothing on it. Then Anneliese.....

Anneliese

She shot Phillip and saved both of them yes, but how did she know where they were? Has she always known where Phillip was hiding? And how did she get there? Connor mentioned that her car wasn't at her house.

Oliver glanced over at Anneliese and saw she was surprisingly calm for the current situation they were in.

"Um. Professor Keating? Can I ask you something?"

"Yes you can. And it's Anneliese, Oliver"

"Ok um, Anneliese. How did you know where the warehouse was? And how did you get there?"

"Frank drove me. My car was left at Eve's apartment. And as for how I knew where it was.... I think we should go outside for this"

Oliver wanted to stay inside and wait for news on Connor, but Anneliese insisted.

They walked out the front double glass doors of the hospital and Anneliese began to explain.

"You see Oliver, normally I put Frank in charge of finding anyone who poses a threat to me or anyone who works for me. Phillip was a very dangerous threat so I had him working extra hard to try and find him but he was unable to. This was one day before your abduction. Once you were abducted, I knew Connor would so everything he could to find you and that Phillip would reach out to him. So I had Frank bug your computer so we could see when Phillip would call him and we heard what he wanted. Obviously I couldn't let him have the video, so I put a fake one in my desk and let Connor take it. Once he left my house, I had Frank pick me up and follow him to the warehouse. Once everything that happened happened, I called Frank and had him take care of the body and we drove Connor to the hospital"

Oliver let all this sink in. But the only reaction he could produce was anger.

"You used Connor. You let him walk into that warehouse with a FAKE drive, risking both our lives to get rid of Phillip?!"

"It was the only way to protect everyone"

"PROTECT?! Connor is in the hospital right now!! In surgery because he was shot due to your plan! Is that what you call protecting!? The only people you protected tonight was Asher and yourself!!"

"Oliver, listen to me-"

"NO! And don't you come near Connor again tonight. I'll make up a lie for you so he doesn't hate you anymore than he already does. But I won't forgive you. Now please, leave. If Frank can hide a body I'm sure he can drop you off at home before your class"

Oliver turned and walked back into the hospital, his mind spinning. Even though he wanted to blame Anneliese, he couldn't help but blame himself the most. He should've listened to Connor from day one and kept out of Anneliese's affairs. He just wanted to help, feel useful to everyone. Look where that got him.

He was pulled from his thoughts by a nurse tapping him on the shoulder.

"Mr. Hampton? You can go see Mr. Walsh now, he's out of surgery"

"Is he awake?"

"Not yet, but he'll wake up soon"

Oliver thanked her and walked into Connors room. He looked better than Oliver thought he would. He had an IV in his arm and a long bandage over his surgery wound. Other than that he looked normal. Peaceful, Oliver noted. Connor hadn't looked relaxed in a long time.

Oliver pulled a chair over to sit next to the hospital bed. He checked the time out of curiosity, 4:02am. That's fine he thought, he had no intention of leaving anyways.

After about 30 minuets of doing nothing and staring out the widow, Oliver heard Connor move around in his bed. Oliver instantly sat up and directed his eyes to Connors.

"Hey. How ya feeling?"

"Honestly, like I got shot in the stomach" Connor answered tiredly

Oliver stifled a laugh, "yeah, makes sense"

"Are you OK?"

"You're the one lying in the hospital bed and you're asking if I'm OK?"

"I wasn't just kidnapped by a psychotic killer"

Oliver laughed again, "yeah, I'm fine. The nurse came in earlier. She said as soon as you wake up you could go home"

"Good. I miss our bed, this ones lumpy"

"She also said that you can't go to work for a week, so I get to look after you" Oliver said with a sly smile

"Oh great. A whole week of nothing but sitting in bed and eating soup" Connor said jokingly

"Is it better than being hunted by serial killers?"

"Yeah I guess so" Connor said with a smile

"It's been a long time since I've seen that"

Connor looked confused, "seen what?"

"Your smile"

Connor smiled again and sat up and wrapped his arm around Oliver

He planted a small kiss on top of Olivers forehead

"Let's go home"