.:Chapter 5:.

"Yes, we were born and raised in the Southern Water Tribe."
Jonathan held his breath nervously as the room fell into suspicious silence. Together they stared, straight ahead with heads held high, forcing the strongest eye contact possible. As David muttered his answer, the other four strangers began to crowd around, forming a minacious semi-circle in front of them, nothing but the glint in their eyes being revealed under their cloaks.
As the woman turned away, Jonathan clenched his fists behind his back in attempt to calm his nerves. She set the scroll on the table then walked over to one of the men in the cloaks, the tall one in the center, and gave him a slight nod before taking a spot in the circle. He in sync lurched forward, each footstep echoing off the basement walls as he drew near.
          Much to Jon's dismay, he stopped so close to Jonathan he could hear the whistle of his breath from almost a foot above him. Just by standing there, the man was able to send fear trickling down his spine like melting ice. Both Jon and David looked away from the man's eyes purely from intimidation.
"Are you fully aware of the circumstances you are in right now? Why bother hiding anymore?" In the piercing silence the stranger's voice projected like a siren. Jonathan saw David flinch under that strict and dangerous gaze, though a sly smirk was visible on the foreigner's lips. "..I will give you credit, though. You're a better liar than I was expecting."
David snapped his head up to face the other mammoth. David had to be at least an inch or two taller, but a whole lot less bulky and intimidating. Yet he still squared his shoulders and accepted the other's challenge.
          "We aren't lying, it's the truth. You can believe it or not, why does it matter? Why are we even-"
"I can tell when a person is lying." He put it bluntly, to say the least. David however was not happy with this answer.
          "That's not a valid reason." He argued back, a pinch of desperation garnishing his retaliation.
          "From your perspective it isn't, however-" The man's voice sounded agitated, but this time, David was the one to interrupt him.
          "Are you claiming to be a psychic, then? Because if you are, I'm calling bullshit right now."
          The stranger paused, squinting his yellow-green eyes. "No, there's no such thing as 'being psychic'."
          "Then what are you proposing you are?" David's voice rose a little higher as he interrupted yet again. Sweat beaded on his forehead. Had they really been caught so quickly? Why are they so desperate to know if they are from the Water Tribe?
          "Just a guy with a talent for smelling bullshit." Jonathan was astounded at the man's level of confidence. His eyes flickered over to his brother, praying he wouldn't say anything stupid or revealing, but he watched his hands twitch with worry. David was quickly growing too nervous to continue their fib.
          "You realize nothing you just said made any sense, right?" David's eyebrows furrowed.
          The man's eyes thinned. "To you maybe it doesn't, but-"
          "Maybe I'm the one smelling bullshit!" David suddenly snapped, shocking both the stranger and Jonathan. "How are you so sure we're lying anyway?! Say we were, what's your reason for knowing so?! I think you're actually spies trying to get information for the Fire Lord!!" David's fists clenched tightly behind his back in fear. The man froze in place, staring him down with an unreadable look. That was also the moment that the man let out a snort, only enraging David further. "What the hell is so funny?!"
All around them, everyone began to giggle. He and Jonathan however, were not impressed.
"Yep. It's definitely him. You still never let me finish my goddamn sentences, geez!" The tall one blew a raspberry and raised his hands to his hood, releasing into view his spiky dirty-blonde hair, thin stubble along his chin and lips with golden brows crowning wide, piercing eyes. Everything about him looked dangerous, friendly, and oh-so-familiar.
          The other three removed their hoods as well. Two were unfamiliar, but one stood out, and another shock of recognition alit Jon's old memory box. No, it couldn't be! Dark skin, sunset eyes, fuzzy black hair, and thin black stubble on his chin and neck.
"Wait- what?!" David gasped beside him, bringing his hands to cover his mouth in shock.
"Hey, David. Long time no see." Tyler smirked as Marcel joined him at the hip, both flashing triumphant grins.