(ix) - 'Why would I ever be interested in you?'

"It's a great idea, Andi, I don't understand what your problem is."

"I just –" We were all sat in Benji's sitting room, draped over the couch and large cushions, plotting. Well, my three friends were plotting. Well, Nee and Benji were plotting. Eli was stoically silent, and I wanted no part of this. It was a bad idea. My bones were telling me that it was a bad idea.

Cain, fortunately, had grudgingly agreed to stay at home. "If you tell anyone," he'd warned me, his eyes already drifting back over to Putlocker, "I'll know."

Despite his ominous parting message, the fact that I had some license to hang out with my friends without having him hiding in a fucking storage closet or something meant that we were getting on better, at least. Or so I thought. If Cain discovered our intentions of setting him up, I didn't think I'd ever live it down. Or survive it, for that matter.

"I would really rather not get in Cain's way. Please," I tacked on pitifully to the end of that sentence. If only you knew what we were doing right now you'd insist on being here. Or strangling me with your bare hands, Faustian Bargains bedamned.

"You're not scared of him, are you? Jesus," Nee chuckled, poking me in the ribs with her toe. "Don't worry, we'll protect you from the skinny little thing."

From the wrath of Satan, more like? "I still think it's a beyond awful idea. I know him better than you guys. He does not like surprises."

"Guys, maybe we should listen to Andi – after all –"

"For God's sake, Eli, don't chicken out now – we're so close to the finish line!" Benji rubbed his hands together, in excited glee. "And besides, none of you have gotten anything for ages. Well. Neither have I. This is a positive excursion for the good of the group, ladies."

"Marcy has been waiting to meet a lovely guy for ages. They'd be cute together!"

"A boy like him would make mincemeat out of Marcy," I whined, which caused Nee to round on me.

"Honestly. Having him around isn't that bad. You act like he's the Antichrist."

Oh, sweet, bitter irony. "Trust me. Please." Marcy was a very nice, quiet girl, who didn't deserve to be torn apart by Cain. "They're not going to like each other."

"Who wouldn't like Cain? For God's sake, look at him," my friend replied, arching a brow wryly.

"Seconded," Benji chimed in, followed by a look for everyone else.

"Well, I've never noticed anything particularly attractive –"

"Lies, she's lying," Benji crowed, rocking back on his knees. Eyes sparkling, with the dregs of the gossip he was. "I would most definitely turn for that boy."

"You sure you already haven't?" Eli muttered, earning him a well-placed thwack across the head with an overstuffed pillow. Yeesh.

"It's settled, anyway," Benji continued, as though nothing had happened. "Marcy's house party is going to be such craic."

"Are we even invited?"

"After I told her Cain was totally into her, without a second hesitation."

"Benji, you didn't."

Nee and Benji, partners in crime, had gotten it into their heads that a house party Marcy was purported to be having at the end of the week would be the perfect place to help Cain... 'get his hole' (Christ, I'm cringing just thinking about the phrase). They'd secured their own invitations – and ours, apparently – by dropping hints that Cain, a mysterious, smoky lothario (gag) had his eye on her, but of course, was shy, and would need the social lubricant of alcohol first before he'd even make a move on her. Well, there'd be other people there, so at least I wouldn't have to sit prisoner in the situation for three hours. Of course, it all depended on Cain liking Marcy, and not getting wind of this plot that had been formed, or else I was most definitely roadkill.