Preface

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, we will have our two finalists finish off their performances of the night with a little duet. Please welcome to the stage our little stars--Leigh Anne Pinnock and Perrie Edwards. This is their performance of a Harry Styles original 'Don't Let Me Go'." Ryan Tedder introduced both girls.

Perrie and Leigh stood between the screen, holding hands and looked to each other in reassurance. Honest to God, they were scared out of their wits. This was the last time they were both going to perform on this stage and that truly scared them both. They were not only best friends, but they knew from the start that they acted much more like a couple and really, that's all they wanted to be--a couple--but in the world of show business, that just didn't exist.

As the screen raised, Perrie let go of Leigh's hand and moved to her side of the stage. Both had their backs to each other and their heads hung low, eyes shut as they sang in unison, "Don't let me... go."

Then the instrumental kicked in and Perrie raised her microphone to sing the first verse, "Now you were standing there right in front of me, I hold on, it's getting harder to breathe, all of a sudden these lights are blinding me, I never noticed how bright they would be..."

Perrie turned around to look at Leigh while she was still facing backwards as she sang her verse, "I saw in the corner there is a photograph, no doubt in my mind, it's a picture of you, it lies there alone in its bed of broken glass, this bed was never made for two..."

Leigh turned around to face Perrie and both sang together, "I'll keep my eyes wide open, I'll keep my arms wide open." With each note, they moved closer together until they were inches apart and that's when the chorus started and they belting out the lyrics like there was no tomorrow.

Perrie and Leigh put everything into that song in that moment, not because they wanted good press or because they hoped it would get them further into the competition, but because everything they were singing was exactly what they were feeling. In that moment, they didn't want to let go and they didn't want to be alone anymore and as they sang the last note together, they engulfed each other into a hug and tears fell from their eyes, but they didn't even care. This hug was the only thing they had left of each other before it would all be gone.