Chapter Five (Scarlett)

Scarlett

"What I've done

I'll face myself

To cross out what I've become

Erase myself

And let go of what I've done."

Scarlett looked down at the sketch she had been drawing with a slight frown. Wait that wasn't right, his nose wasn't quite that shape. Taking the eraser, she slowly and gently erased the structure of the nose on the paper. Wiping away the eraser marks, she took the charcoal pencil and immediately restarted, slowing shaping the nose until it was perfect. She moved from there to perfectly shaped lips and a slight tilt to them. She hadn't even touched his eyes, yet. That would be involved bringing to life the black, burning depths of his gaze. She wanted perfection in bringing Zane to life on her paper.

The sound of the music didn't register in her mind because she often listen to music while she did her art. Continuing his features and cheekbone structure, she finally felt content and went back to the small structural points that she marked to place his eyes. She stared for a moment at the paper, before her mind brought forth the image of his gaze. Almond shaped with long black eyelashes and dilated pupils that were almost completely concealed by the depths of those burning orbs. She kept that image in mind as she continued her hand steadily moving across the paper.

Fifteen minutes later, Scarlett studied the completed profile of Zane. She had drawn him from head to torso. She had clad him in a button down, black shirt that wasn't at closed. It had taken her almost a whole hour to perfect how she imagined his chest to look. The shadow around him was shaped like the beginnings of a dragon emerging from his being. The drawing on the paper was so realistic that she felt as though he were in the room with her. After he had escorted her home last night, she dreamed about him. She had awakened with the urge to bring the image of him from that dream to life.

The seductive glint in his eyes, burning with lust. The slight smug tilt of his lips and tousled appearance of his black hair. In her dream, Zane had been so much more than just a man. Something edged around like an aura, as though there was something within him waiting to come out. Something untamed and wildly dangerous. The dragon that detached from him in the dream had been different. He had been that uncoiled dangerous being, watching the two with an intensity that shook her to the core. So intense, she had awakened feeling as though she were trapped in man and dragon's lair.

Taking a dry, blue wash cloth, she wiped the lead off her hands. Sitting the cloth back on the desk next to her, she turned to her array of art utensils. She studied the coloring pencils, oil pastels, crayons, paints, and colored charcoal pencils—trying to figure out which medium would be best for completing the drawing. With a movement she grabbed the oil pastels and took to the picture. Mixing peach, gold, brown, and white she brought his complexion to life. She continued to use different oil pastels to bring him to life. The finished product left her astounded for a moment.

"It looks just like him," she said, aloud.

Nothing left her mouth for a few minutes. She was so enraptured by the Zane picture that she jumped when the music began again. It took her a moment to realize that the music had been her boss, Jack's ringtone. She hadn't been scheduled to work today, so she wasn't sure why Jack was calling. She sighed for a moment before answering the phone.

"Jack," she greeted.

"Scarlett, doll, I know it's your day off," he began, "but I need your help. There's an unexpected conference with some new clients. I need help with preparations and if you could assist with the meeting, I'd be ever grateful."