Chapter 8

Thank you so much for reading, liking and commenting on the story. I really love reading your opinions and feedback. It's nice to know what goes through your mind when you read this. I hope you all like this chapter, took me long enough to write it. Thank you once again for reading and supporting me!

Chapter 8:

April

“Rio, pull me up!”

Rio stared down at me from the tree branch he is sitting on. His has been laughing at me for the past five minutes when I failed to climb up even the first branch of the tree. I have never climbed a tree my entire life and from the past few attempts, it’s safe to say that I can’t even climb a tree to save my life. It’s not that I have a fear of heights that I never climbed a tree before; it’s because of my body condition that my parents never let me. If it wasn’t because of my weak body, I would most probably have spent my childhood climbing trees in the backyard like a little monkey.

“Will you stop laughing at me already?” I snapped at him, but he only laughed even more.

“It’s not that hard!” He said through fits of laughter, “Just put your leg there—yes, at that hole—and then reach out to that small branch and pull yourself—”

He didn’t even get to finish the sentence. He just roared with laughter when my leg slipped and my foot is back on the ground. I am back at square one. I looked up at him with a pleading look, mentally begging him to just come down the branch and help me up.

“Your attempts are pure hilarious!” Rio laughed as his hands went and wipe away a stray tear.

I folded my arms across my chest with a pout on my face.

Still with a smile on his face, he climbed down his spot and held a hand out. I smiled brightly at him and took his hand. He pulled me up while telling me to put my footing at several places. We stopped at the height we felt the most comfortable with and sat down on the branches.

“You really are terrible at climbing trees.”

I stuck my tongue out at him, “My parents didn’t let me climb trees with my body condition.”

Rio just stared at me. I think I feel more comfortable when he said something in return. He turned away and stared at the sky, “Your parents are very caring,”

“I guess so…”

Wow, great work Ashlee. The topic about parents is the most sensitive to him and you just had to mention it.

I cleared my throat, “So, can we eat our lunch now? Climbing this much is making me really hungry.”

“You are always hungry. I hardly think those failed attempts count as climbing—hey! That is mine!”

I stuck my tongue out at Rio and bit into his ham and cheese. He just stared at me as I munched down on his delicious sandwich. That is for teasing me about my big appetite. He narrowed his eyes at me before turning away and retrieving something from the small bag we used to carry our lunch in. My eyes widen when I saw the item he is holding.

“Not my apple pie!” I nearly screamed in agony when he bit into it and swallowed it in three big bites. He just laughed at the horror on my face. Oh, he did that on purpose!

“That, is for eating my ham and cheese.” He said with a big smirk.

“Give me your granola bar.”