day 6

There's something awfully domestic about making breakfast together, Camila decides. Lauren's to her left, making pancake batter from scratch, while she watches and wonders why Lauren doesn't have her own cooking show.

Yesterday was Lauren's day off, and after they finally pulled their asses out of bed they spent most of the day by the pool, filling the day with conversations about things that mattered and things that didn't. But they have a red carpet event later today, so they didn't stay up too late last night.

"Any idea what you'll be wearing yet?" Camila asks, hopping on the counter.

Lauren shakes her head. "Usually my stylist picks two outfits and pretends I have a choice when I really don't." She looks up and smiles reassuringly. "I'm sure they'll have something for you, too. It's not like this thing wasn't planned way before you entered that contest—they knew I was gonna bring a plus one no matter the case."

Camila thinks about Briana's words on the first day. This contest isn't about her, it was about Lauren and the company. Everyone knew she was in LA, obviously it was gonna look sketchy if she didn't show up at Lauren's side to this red carpet event.

"I hope I don't mess up. I have a tendency to make things awkward," she says, frowning.

"You won't." Lauren cracks an egg, and stirs the batter. She's making the whole thing by heart, and Camila's seriously impressed. She was sure Ally was the best cook she knew, but Lauren's doing pretty great so far.

"I wouldn't be so sure."

"Guess it's a good thing I'm not you." Lauren swirls around and grabs her phone with the hand that isn't covered in pancake batter. She opens the Snapchat app and takes a picture of her creation.

"It's for PR," she explains, when she catches Camila looking at her with raised eyebrows. "I'm not really into social media, but they figured it's the best way to connect with the fans. Usually I pretend to forget my phone has other purposes than calling and texting, but once in a while I want to show off."

"Show off your face?" Camila says in an attempt to flirt.

Lauren chuckles. "Of course. Selfie?"

She pushes Camila's knees apart and stands between them so they can take a selfie. Camila's heart is racing as she leans forward, wrapping her arms around Lauren's neck. In an impulse, she presses her lips against her cheek.

"They're gonna love this," Lauren says, posting the picture in her snap story. Then, before she goes back to making pancakes, she hands her phone to Camila. "Add yourself on my Snapchat, then we can send each other weird pictures when you go back to Miami."

It's the first time either of them acknowledges their week together is gonna end out loud, and Camila's stomach clenches at the realization. In two days she'll be on her way home. As much as she misses her family and friends, she's going to miss Lauren, too.

At least Lauren still wants to keep in touch. Compared to a few days ago, that's a major improvement.

She sighs quietly and glances up at Lauren, who doesn't look the least bit bothered. Perhaps that's a sign Camila's way more into Lauren than Lauren is into her. Not that she expected it any other way. For the first four, maybe even five days they knew each other Lauren didn't even like her as a person. Of course she's not going to fall in love with her in less than a day. Just because she's that kind of person doesn't mean Lauren is, too.

Camila fumbles with Lauren's phone for a bit. She opens the Twitter app to see what it's like to be a verified user, and flips through the home screens to see what kind of apps Lauren has. For a moment, she's tempted to look at Lauren's contact list and steal a bunch of cool people's phone number, but that'd probably end anything good that's been building up between them, so she locks the phone and sets it next to her on the counter.