Chapter One

{Grace's P.O.V.}

I arrived at the dorm and didn't know what to do. It's not like I could enter the boys dormitory, I would be breaking a rule. So I decided to knock on the door and see what happened. After all this is an emergency. It seems like hours but it only takes mere seconds for me to work up the courage to finally take the first step and knock on the door. For a minute no one answers the door, and just as I am about to barge in the door quickly opens.

"What do you want? You know that you aren't supposed to be waking up the dorms in the middle of the night." I gruff voice answers. I assume that this is the new guard who was just assigned to watch the dorm doors at night. This was a new adjustment the school had made after all the robberies.

"P...Please... It's an emergency. I need you to get Autor and Fakir." My voice was shaking and I could tell that he saw how shook up I looked even from his short time seeing me.

"U...Um, I'm not supposed to let anyone in or out of the dorm at night?" He said questioningly. The guard sounded very unsure about what he was saying considering the way I sounded.

"Please." I begged. "She's hurt." I showed the guard my arms that were coated in blood and his eyes widened in awe. He immediately stood up and ran to the other part of the dorm. I began crying at the thoughts about Duck possibly not waking up every again next time. Hurried steps came to the door and I heard three pairs of feet rushing toward me. I looked up and the door had been opened all the way. Fakir and Autor were standing in the door way looking dumbfounded, frightened, sleepy, and impossibly courageous.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Fakir came up to me and asked. "Where's Duck?"

"She's at the house. She was shaking and crying and then screaming and... and..." I began crying harder as I realized that Duck might not get over what happened.

"No. The nightmares." Fakir began running toward the way I came and I chased behind him until Autor caught up to me.

"Are you okay Grace?" Autor asked me, concerned.

"Yeah, but I'm scared for Duck." Autor nodded and I felt this sudden courage surge through me along with a feeling of something else. Something foreign, something off. I began to run faster than before following closely behind Fakir. Autor cought up too and I stayed back a ways while running to let the two of them talk. They were running in sync with eachother now and it looked so natural to see them hanging out together that I almost forgot how strange we must look to the average onlooker.

Our route was blocked by a wagon crash and we had to make a detour through the more busy part of the city. We wove between carts and hores drawn carrages. Many times we had to stop because the horse drawn carrages were going at full speed. Fakir had a look in his eyes of raw fear, not from stopping so suddenly, but for fear of what he would find when we returned to the house. At one point Autor fell back into stride with me and looked down at my arms. He was clearly out of breath, but didn't want to admit it. Now don't think that Autor wasn't fit or anything, this was a LONG run. No, run isn't the right word for it, more like a sprint. His head tilt was enough of a gesture to get a response from me.

"It's not mine." I say and look up with sad eyes. He nodds and runs back up to Fakir. I stay behind them both to be give the two of them some space, after all I just woke them up in the middle of the night crying and defeated at the doorway of their dormatory. Suddenly another detour had to be made and it would cause us to go through even busier streets, trees were down and that along with the car crashes caused our main routes to be down. We ran, and ran, and ran. Finally we were at the halfway mark because of our detours and we had been running for a solid 25-30 minutes. We were all covered in sweat and it seemed like we were to tierd to go on any further, but we kept running. I was exhausted from running there and now back to the house. The guys seemed like they could take it for a little longer, but I was almost out of fumes. It seemed like they were growing farther from me so I pushed myself to speed up. I got closer but when I was just a few yards behind them I failed to see a slightly upturned tree route break through the cobblestone streets. The ground rushed toward me so fast I almost didn't register what had happened. I just laid on the ground for a minute trying to get my bearings back. I closed my eyes for a little while before I heard the two of them calling for me.