Chapter 5: Formidable Secrets

CHAPTER 5

Formidable Secrets

            Love and the libido of manhood was not something that Eidan could easily process, and being trapped in a monastery for seven years didn’t help. He was pathetic. No, he was lucky he even knew what a woman was. The monks had always warned him about the temptations of women, but Eidan never thought it’d be this difficult.

            Why must she dress like that? he internally cried. 

            Eidan sat at a round table in the center of a lively bar. While his brother danced and sang with fellow comrades, Eidan sipped his buttered hota and Hetalia the hostess rushed about the bar in a human gown that did wonders to her voluptuous figure.

            Eidan was plenty inebriated, otherwise he was sure he wouldn’t have watched the woman so diligently. But why did she look so stunning? He couldn’t determine why. The dress was pretty, she was pretty, but why? Attraction was so strange. Weren’t people attracted to each other for the sole purpose of propagating the species? But there was no species they could propagate. He was a halfblood Kinetic and she was a human. He wouldn’t dare have children in his condition.

            Eidan felt the heat rise to his cheeks, or maybe he was already hot from the alcohol. He didn’t know. He was confused and drunk, and he felt miserable. Unfortunately, drinking more was the only way to cure his agonizing migraine.

            He stared at his glass of hota and glowered.

            How illogical, he thought. So illogical, incredibly illogical.

            If alcohol gave him migraines and drinking was the only way to cure them, then alcoholism was an unavoidable side effect. He didn’t want to become an alcoholic. He was a monk, not a… a what? A civilian? But of course he was. He wasn’t a monk anymore. He’d been discharged for being a monster.

            Suddenly, Eidan was cast into a black sea of despair. His chest ached and his throat burned with the pain of emotional agony.

            He was a monster, a halfblood Kinetic, a mutant fiend that nobody should trust. He had no chance with Hetalia the hostess because she was human and he was a disgrace. And even if she did accept him, Eidan knew he wouldn’t believe it. Because who could love a halfblood demon? Nobody. Not even his biological parents wanted to keep him.

            He took another drink of his hota and let his gaze find its way back to Hetalia.

            She was so beautiful, so hideously beautiful. Her laughter was like fresh water during the drought season and her eyes glistened with all the stars in the sea. Why was it so difficult for people to love him? Eidan had felt unwanted his entire life, and he wasn’t even sure if his dearest brother loved him.

            And why should he? I’m a Kinetic and he’s a Numan. We couldn’t be any more different.

            Eidan emptied his glass of hota and waved for Hetalia to bring him another. It would be his fifth glass, and not once had he looked at her when she’d approached. Maybe this time he would. Maybe the reason she wore those clothes was because she wanted to feel loved, too.

            Hetalia brought him another glass, and Eidan smiled at her. Unfortunately, he hadn’t anticipated the tears streaming down his face.

            Hetalia gasped. “Good gods! Sir?” She looked around, confused, then without saying another word, she rushed over to Eidan’s brother and whispered into his ear.