32

I woke up with a start. There was a light shining in my eye and I growled as I pushed it away, before finding my feet and standing up.

Black spots filled my vision for a couple of seconds, making me bring my fingers up to my temples.

"Easy there tiger." I spun around to the voice. It was Devan. His face was curled into a menacing smile as he handed me a glass of water, to which I took and quickly gulped down, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand.

My head was starting to clear now and I looked around the room. The air smelt musty and cold, like nobody had been down here in years. The walls were white and there was nothing in the room besides Devan and myself.

Oh, and the half a dozen guards that were scattered around. They were silent and still, almost like statues. I walked up to one and waved my hand in front of their face, only to find no recognition.

A cruel sound crawled up my throat before escaping in a crazy way, but I didn't care how crazy I sounded. All the best people were crazy. The situation in front of me was almost like an illusion and for a millisecond I wondered if I was dreaming. I wondered if Devan had already done the deed and killed me anyway.

But, if I was dead, I would feel it.

I wasn't dead and I wasn't crazy.

I spun around on my heel, my shoe, still damp from the rain, squelched slightly under my weight but I ignored it and let a grin take over my features.

"So, Devan," I drawled. "What's with the guards?"

He shrugged, gulped and, in all my time, I'd never seen his face pale so quickly. It contrasted so well with his dark attire and I found it amazing that he could still look slightly menacing. Menacing, but only slightly. Because he was scared and I knew why.

"Precaution. Wouldn't want you escaping now, would we Chas-"

I cut him off quickly by pushing him against the white wall behind him. I was stronger now. Stronger and quicker and it felt amazing. "Don't call me that. And, plus, if I wanted out we both know I could."

He nodded as best he could, his face turning blue. I pouted at him, before gently lowering him down. "Why so glum?" I grinned at him, "I know how we can fix that!"

I ran towards one of the guards against the wall and, using my finger nails, tore a neat line across his neck. His eyes widened a little, and his hand went towards his throat, but I held them behind his back whilst he and I watched the blood pool to the ground. Watched as he gurgled and grumbled.

When he took his final breath I pushed him to the ground and then, using my two fore fingers, drew up some of the blood from the wound. The whole process only took a second, still. I wondered why Devan hadn't left yet.

"Lets turn that frown upsidedown," I exclaimed, walking back towards Devan whose face was now the colour of the wall behind him. I couldn't even see his chest moving up and down and frowned again as I painted two upward lines on his face with the blood, before smiling at my handiwork. "Beautiful," I said, before wiping my bloody fingers on my trousers. "Art is such a necessity nowadays."

"Why did you..."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You took life from me and now I'm taking life from you. Now, answer my question."

He cleared his throat, before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. I guessed he was trying to rid of the blood, but he only achieved smearing it further across his cheeks, almost like his smile was broken.

"I already did." He said steadily, looking into my eyes like he was trying to compute my next move.

I grinned at him. "Wrong. Because I already know the answer, Devan." His name rolled off my tongue with as much venom as I could get into it. "You're scared. Scared because I'm stronger than you." I smiled at him, bringing him closer towards me by his shirt. "Scared because I could kill you, right here, right now." I could feel his breath quicken on my face and my smile grew. "Scared because every other emotion has been stripped from you, just like you did to me. I loved him Devan, do you understand that?"

He nodded, before gulping. "I under-"

"But you don't, sweetheart." I pulled him so close that our noses touched. "You don't because you're not me and you're naive." I pressed my lips against his and he completely froze. I pushed him back so hard against the wall that it dented. "And you're a lousy kisser."

I laughed at his slouched position on the floor, "what goes around comes around, my friend. You taught me that." I winked at him, before turning to the door and walking towards it with a smile on my face.

Because he was getting weaker and, all the while, I was growing stronger and it was fucking beautiful.