Chapter 3 ~ More Than Meets The Eye

A shop bell rings as Azrael and Azazel walk in the front door of the biggest thrift shop in town, 'Annie's Antiques'.

They begin walking around the store when an older fragile but nice looking lady walks from behind a curtained doorway that appears to lead to the back of the store.

"Hello young men, welcome to my store.", the old woman greets in a small weak voice.

Azrael walks over to the counter where she is standing and smiles "Ah, you must be Annie, correct?" He takes her hand in his and kisses the top of it gently, "I am Azrael, and over there is my brother Azazel.", he says pointing over his shoulder to his brother.

Annie giggles and then speaks in her slow soft tone, "My my, you're quite the charmer aren't you?" She gives them a gentle smile, "Is there anything I can help you two with?"

Azrael looks up and touches his chin appearing to be thinking for a moment, "Hmm, well you see we're not exactly sure what we're looking for." He looks back at her and smiles, "We just enjoy collecting unique and antique items. Is there anything here that you've had for a very long time perhaps? Or, maybe something that has seemed to stand out to you more than any other item you've owned?"

Annie thinks to herself silently. "Oh!" She says looking as if something has just dawned on her, "There was this very ancient book I had. It's one of the oldest books known to man, 'The Book of Thoth'. I've never seen anything like it before, but it was written in some kind of old Egyptian language that died out thousands of years ago."

Azazel raises an interested eyebrow walking over beside his brother, "Where is that book?" He says in a rushed tone.

"Oh... well..." Annie says looking down a bit disappointed, "I forgot that I had just sold that book this morning."

Azazel covers his face with his hand walking away from the counter as he mumbles, "Why did I even think that any of these useless people could be of any help at all?"

Azrael punches him in the arm. "Quit it, with your attitude we'll NEVER get anything done." He says in a low voice only Azazel could hear.

Azrael then turns back to Annie with a soft smile, "Do you by any chance remember who you sold it to?"

Annie nods her head, "I don't know her name but oh I couldn't forget her, I've never seen anyone like her in my shop before. She had long silvery hair not like mine but more full of life." She chuckles, "Her eyes were a bright teal color, and she wore this very scandalous outfit." Annie shakes her head, "But I suppose that's what the kids are into today."

"That sounds like-" Azrael begins. "That new girl who transferred the same day as us." Azazel says finishing his brother's thought.

The two look at each other and nod. Azazel starts heading out the door. Azrael smiles at Annie and bows his head slightly, "Thank you for your help, it was a pleasure meeting you." He says flashing her a smile before heading out behind Azazel.

Annie chuckles, "Come again." She says in her sweet innocent voice as she watches them leave, and waves. As soon as they're out of sight she turns towards her curtained doorway with a bit more stern look on her face. 'I can't put my finger on it, but those two, and the girl from earlier, they don't exactly seem to be regular Earthians.', Annie thinks to herself looking as if she's trying to mentally put together pieces of a unfinished puzzle.

"Oh I am sure it's nothing, Earthians change over generations, its normal for them." She says her sweet smile returning.

Outside of the shop the brothers look at one another. "So, you know what we have to do right?", asks Azrael. Azazel nods in response, "Yes, first we must find that girl, and then we find that book."