Chapter 4

I made a mental note to not supply any unnecessary comments regarding Shelley's "makeover" so to say.

So, it was the date-day, and as though a cherry on top of the cake, the guy I was about to go on a date with was a blind date. Please God have mercy.

Shelley was going to pick me up in a few minutes for this stupid thing which I was honestly dreading with my whole heart. Any girl would be lucky to go out with a godly-looking guy like Jace, but I didn't even have that assurance about how my date would be. I just desperately hoped that the guy would at least be a decent one if not for a sweetheart like him.

The sound of honking brought me out of my thoughts and I quickly grabbed my phone from the couch I was sitting at before putting on my rose-printed white vans (a creation of my sister's skills).

"Mom, I'm off!" I yelled from the living room.

She poked her head out from the kitchen. "Okay, but be back by 8."

"Okay!" I said, closing the front door behind me.

In the car, Shelley brushed her bangs aside with one hand, and I almost laughed. In the face of a makeover, Shelley had gone and gotten bangs which definitely did not suit her and being her best friends, Savannah and I tried to stop her from this utter mortification of a bad haircut, but once she's on a mission, she's like a mad bull seeing red. Okay, too far.

I looked over at her outfit which seemed to be much fancier than mine, though I definitely wasn't about to care. She was wearing a short off-shouldered dress with slightly puffy sleeves along with shiny heels. She looked really pretty for sure.

"You look so beautiful!" I gushed, pointing at her.

She stared ahead as she drove, but smiled widely. "Thank you! And you—" Her eyes widened as she glanced at me, "why are you wearing just a white shirt and shorts?! This is a date, Alyssa."

"Yes, for you," I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

Truthfully, I didn't think I was under dressed anyway considering this so-called date was actually happening on a Saturday morning in an ice-cream parlor for godssake. And there's nothing wrong with experiencing the joys of ice-cream in a white shirt and dark blue denim shorts. Please someone make this weirdo understand.

The only positive thing about this whole thing was my reunion with my beloved ice-cream. That's it.

Before I could dwell on Shelley's opinion over my outfit further, she pulled up in front of the ice-cream shop. She slowly parked in the space in front of the shop and turned to face me.

"Hey, Lyss, why don't you go and see if Jace' here yet? I'm going to give myself a quick pep talk." She said to me, scratching her head nervously.

I nodded because I would rather stare at all the heavenly ice-cream flavors than hear her talking to herself.

As I opened the door to the store, a small chime sounded overhead and it was the sweetest sound I'd ever heard. Without wasting any time, I glided like a person being pulled by the song of sirens. My mouth filled with drool as I gazed longingly at the myriad of flavors. If I could have eaten everything in here, believe me I would have.

Another person, a tall guy, was also sporting a familiar look as he stared at the ice-creams. I raised my brows at his form. Who knew Jace was also a sucker for ice-creams? Maybe this was why he picked this place for the date. Of course, I was anything but complaining.

"Thank you, Jace. You've done a godly job today." At that moment, I was the personification of that emoji that features an about to cry face.

Hearing my voice, Jace was startled from his position. "Oh, hey, Alyssa." There was very, very tiny hint of blush peaking onto his face. "I didn't see you there."