Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Clark drove them to Lone Point, a popular make-out spot just outside of the town. Chloe began to grow uncomfortable but when he parked she could see that they were the only car there so it was obviously only home to nefarious activities after dark.

Clark got out of the car and walked to the edge of the cliff. Chloe joined him a few moments later and looked down into the water below.

"Please tell me you're not planing on killing me and burying me up here," she quipped.

"No one comes up here much during the day, it's nice and quiet up here."

"So, are you going to tell me why you brought me here?"

"Chloe, I need your help."

Chloe's shock showed on her face. It took her a few moments before her brain could form her questions into coherent sentences.

"Why me?"

"Because you're already out to get my family."

"Okay, back up a few steps there, I think I may have missed a turning on this freaky ride."

Clark sat down on the grass and after a brief hesitation, Chloe sat beside him.

"My family isn't really a family," he said. "There's no 'Leave it to Beaver' moments, no hugs, no encouragement or support."

Chloe was just thinking that maybe she should get her violin out when he looked right in her eyes.

"It's a competition. Every day is a battle of wills to see who will win the overall war."

"Okay. Where do I come into this."

"Your program managed to find my fathers password, something I haven't been able to do myself."

"So you want me to help you steal his corporate secrets?"

"No, actually, that can wait. I want you to help me spy on Lex."

"Why Lex?"

"Lex hates me. He thinks Lionel cares more about me than he does about Lex."

"Does he?" Chloe asked.

Clark didn't answer for a moment but he finally admitted it wad true. "Yes, but only because he thinks I have a better chance of ruling the world."

"Whoa," Chloe said softly. "World domination? That's not a conversation that comes up every day."

"It is in my house," Clark looked off into the distance. "My father isn't raising children, he's raising warriors."

"Why?"

"Because power is everything to him. The first battle was between Lex and Tess. Tess lost and Dad exiled her. The next battle is between Lex and me"

"What do you mean when you say battle?"

Clark's expression was grave as he looked at her. "Last man standing."

"Literally or metaphorically?" Chloe asked, growing concerned.

Clark didn't respond, which was all the answer Chloe needed.

"Wow, talk about your sibling rivalry."

"Will you help me?"

Chloe considered it for a moment.

"In return I'll help you dig up dirt on my father," Clark offered.

"It's not that, Clark. As twisted as your family dynamic is, I don't know if I can help you kill Lex, even for a Pulitzer class story."

"I don't need to kill Lex."