Chapter 2

Yuu's POV

I settle down in my seat, and take a final glance at Mika, making sure he wasn't actually hurt by anything I said. Sometimes I can be a little bit harsh for no real reason. I'm lucky he isn't super sensitive, otherwise I'd be without any friends. Kimizuki and Yoichi have drifted away from me, so Mika is my only male friend left. I say male because Shinoa still won't leave me alone. 

"Mitsuba, can I borrow a pen?" I ask, turning to face her. 

"Are you kidding? It's the first day of the new school year, how the hell did you forget a pen?" 

"I had other things to worry about."

"Like what?"

"Can I borrow a pen or not?" Reluctantly, she hands me a Biro. I begin scribbling down answers on my worksheet, occasionally turning to ask Yoichi for help.  It's our last year, and honestly I don't know what I want to do when I leave. Kimizuki wants to be a doctor, Yoichi wants to be a vet, Shinoa wants to join the police force and Mitsuba wants to become a teacher. I don't know what Mika wants to do. Maybe if I ask him, he'll give me ideas of career paths I can take.

"Ok, I want you to find a partner and create a small project on volcanoes. You will have three hours in school to do this. If you do not think you can complete it in the time given, then feel free to take it home to work on it."

Yoichi has paired up with Kimizuki. Typical.

Mitsuba is paired with Shinoa. Good, I didn't want to be with her anyway.

That leaves Mika. That's fine. I walk up to him, smiling. 

"Cheered up have you?" he asks, in an annoying tone. 

"Nope, and you get to be grumpy-Yuu's partner. Aren't you lucky?" He chuckles sweetly and sits down at a desk with two chairs, passing me a piece of paper. 

"What are you going to do after you leave school?" I ask, sketching a volcano erupting.

"I'm not sure," he replies, brushing his blonde hair out of his face. "I've always wanted to write songs, and maybe sing."

"You? sing?" I mock him, but I've never heard him. I look up again. His sweet smile has been replaced with clenched teeth, trying not to frown. His eyes covered with hair that would usually be swept aside as soon as it fell. 

"I was only kidding," I say softly, trying not to look at him in case he looks up and  into my eyes. For a few moments, we're left in silence. 

"I know."