Chapter 3

Mika's POV

The hour passes, along with the rest of the school day. I wasn't actually upset by Yuu's comment on my aspirations- I don't know what happened.  I did cheer up though, and so did Yuu. 

We're walking home now. Akane is telling us about her first day at high school, and how different it is to Primary school. 

"How was your day, Mika?" She asks, looking up at me with warm brown eyes. 

"Ok I guess. We did a mock exam and I got an A."

"I got an E," Yuu adds, lowering his voice. I smile at him, and he smiles back. I like Yuu's smile. It's a real shame he doesn't wear it very much. 

We turn onto the street where our Care home is located, and Akane runs off ahead, eager to tell the director, and the other kids about her first day at high school. Once again, we are left in silence. Yuu turns to me as we are walking up the gravel drive way. 

"Mika," he says, his voice low and soft, "I think you should go for writing songs. Hey, maybe you could sing one for me." I can feel my cheeks burning up. He laughs at my embarrassment, and proceeds to open the door. I greet the other kids, who were back from school half an hour ago, and rush up to our room. 

My palms are wet with sweat, and my mouth is dry. I wrestle my coat off and hang my bag up, after retrieving a bottle of water out of it. 

Maybe you can sing one for me.

I can still hear his words in my ears. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I overthink every little thing that Yuu says? I take a large gulp of water, before clearing the desk of crap. The realization sweeps over me, and my stomach feels as though its been filled with butterflies.

Do I...like him?

No, surely not. I grew up with him, we're practically brothers.  Besides, I'm not into dudes...I think. I sit at my desk, propping my head up with my hands, my fingers deep in my hair. 

"Mika, You're not naked are you? Can I come in?" Yuu asks, knocking on my closed door.

"Sure," I reply, snapping myself out of this strange mood. 

"What are you doing?" He asks, setting himself on the edge of my bed. "Writing?"

"Yeah," I reply, smiling. "Trying to anyway."

"I'll leave you to it then. Taichi and Fumie told me to come get you to help them bake, but I'll help them for now."

"Oh god Yuu...not again. Remember, don't put self-raising flour in cookies." He laughs, remembering the giant cookie he made Christmas time last year. 

"Ok, Ok. I will make sure to double check how much butter we use before we put it in, too."

"I'm 90% sure I was sweating butter."

"Make sure to come down and taste them when you're done. Have fun!" He leaves the room, leaving only the scent of aftershave as proof he was here. I turn back to the pad of lined paper in front of me, and place my guitar on my lap. 

I'll write a song, just for him.