Definitions: Personality Disorders

Personality disorders are subdivided into three clusters. Cluster A is a group of disorders that distort thinking. Cluster B is a subsection including disorders that cause dramatic or unpredictable emotional responses. Cluster C concerns disorders that have roots in anxiety and fear.

Paranoid Personality Disorder (Cluster A)

What it says on the tin: paranoid personality disorder is characterized by a level of paranoia that is chronic and had a debilitating effect on one's ability to function. The nature of the paranoia is somewhat like that of schizophrenia, though it lacks other attributes, such as psychosis.

This disorder is more common in men than it is in women.

Schizoid Personality Disorder (Cluster A)

Schizoid personality disorder is diagnosed when one exhibits chronic patterns of social isolation and an extreme disinterest in other people. It is still up in the air as to whether or not it's related to schizophrenia, though it causes none of the reality distortions that schizophrenia often does.

Schizotypal Disorder (Cluster A)

Schizotypal disorder shares attributes with both schizoid and paranoid personality disorders. A schizotypal person will usually have odd or eclectic beliefs and experience disturbances in thinking. As a result, relationship issues are very common. 

Antisocial Personality Disorder (Cluster B)

One of the most well-known personality disorders, and one of the most commonly misunderstood. Antisocial personality disorder does not mean that someone has issues being around people. In fact, antisocial people are often skilled in flattery and are very charming. However, people with this disorder do not show remorse and often disregard the safety or wellbeing of others. It is not uncommon them to have difficulty with substance abuse or the law.

If you say someone is a sociopath, you are effectively saying that they suffer from antisocial personality disorder. 

Borderline Personality Disorder (Cluster B)

Borderline personality disorder, or BPD, can be very frightening not only for the sufferer but for the people around him or her. It is known to distort self-perception, perception of others, emotions and behaviour. People with BPD are impulsive, quick to anger, fearful of abandonment, and in severe cases, sufferers of psychotic episodes.

Relatives of people with BPD often say that it feels like they are walking on eggshells around their loved one.

Histrionic Personality Disorder (Cluster B)

A key sign of histrionic personality disorder is melodrama beyond melodrama. Sufferers behave very emotionally, ranging from a marked sensitivity to disapproval to hypersexuality. People with HPD are often criticized for being shallow, self-centred, vain and promiscuous, among other things. That being said, with proper treatment, sufferers are often very high-functioning and can be very successful at whatever they choose to do with their lives.

More women than men are diagnosed with this disorder.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (Cluster B)

Narcissistic personality disorder is another familiar condition. It is characterized by extreme self-centredness, a need to prove their greatness or importance, and a lack of interest in or empathy for others. People with NPD might be accused of having a Superiority or God Complex. It is also very common for them to seek approval and expect special treatment.

NPD is very difficult to treat.

Avoidant Personality Disorder (Cluster C)

The driving force of avoidant personality disorder is fear—more specifically, a fear of rejection. And while that fear is normal for most people at some point in their lives, sufferers of this disorder are crippled by it to the point where they avoid others and never open up emotionally for fear of being hurt or abandoned. Sufferers of avoidant personality disorder are plagued constantly by their sense of inadequacy and low self-esteem, though it is possible for them to form bonds with other people when they are certain they will not be rejected.

Dependent Personality Disorder (Cluster C)

Dependent personality disorder (DPD) is almost the opposite of avoidant personality disorder. Instead of steering clear of relationships to avoid being rejected, people with DPD cling tight to relationsips to avoid being alone. Sufferers experience extreme difficulty with their autonomy and are known to suffer abuse just in order to preserve their relationships.

DPD is equally prevalent in men and women. 

Anankastic Personality Disorder (Cluster C)

Also referred to as obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD). While it shares some of the symptoms as obsessive-compulsive disorder, there are very key differences. Firstly, people with OCD suffer intrusive thoughts, but those with OCPD believe that these are rational and correct thoughts. In addition, OCPD is more associated with a strong urge to be in control as well as a sense of perfectionism. As a result, much of life may seem inadequate to them, as their standards are usually very high.

More men than women suffer from this disorder. 

— 

As with mood disorders, there is no uniform criteria for diagnosing these disorders, nor is there a universal treatment protocol. People both exhibit and manage mental illnesses in their own way.