Writing Chapter 1

This was it. This was where my life ended. And, to think, I had so much to live for. I was too young. I couldn't breathe. My throat swelled up. This was my end.

"Miss Williams." The teacher spoke out. "It's time for your presentation."

...

Beginning a new story is very difficult. From character traits to the actual plot, it is a hassle to get going. Though it might seem great with all those ideas, you still need to edit and revise it. Even I'm not perfect! We all are humans. We make mistakes. And for a book to be publish-worthy, means it has to be perfect - or at least close to perfection. If writing is your life, you care deeply about errors in your writing and will even go back and edit it, even if you are only missing a dumb, tiny comma.

Starting a story from scratch is difficult. I know the feeling. It can be a mix of excitement and frustration. Deciding where you want your story to begin is the hardest decision of writing a book.

Just remember this: You don't want to spill all of your story's contents out on the floor for everyone to see. What I mean by this? I mean do not start off your story giving everything away at once. Let your reader discover your character or characters' lives out for themselves. Leave them questioning and wondering what lies beyond the pages instead of having chapter one be like this...

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am a hunting expert. I can shoot a bow and arrow. I'm gonna tell you everything about me so you know everything about me. I have a sister named Prim Rose Everdeen. I have a mom too but my dad died a while ago in the mines. My sister has a dumb stray cat that she took in and keeps in the house now and I hate that cat. I'm going out now to go hunting.

See? It's a snooze. If I learned anything from being alive and knowing what real life is like, it does not involve me going around explaining and narrating myself every move or thought I make.

Start your story off in the middle of your chatacter's normal life. Do not let your character have to introduce themselves to the reader yet slowly being in your reader to your character and leave them curious. This will want them to keep reading. If your character has a special secret that they feel they can't tell anyone, then why would they tell the reader? Keep the suspense coming.

Do NOT start your story off like this either:

I woke up to my alarm going. I groaned and hit snooze. When I looked over, I realized OH NO I'M LATE IGOTUPANDPUTONMYJEANSANDNOIMISSEDTHEBUSMYMOMISGONNAGROUNDMEFOREVERRRRR!!!

Would you really wanna read something like that? News flash - every kid goes to school and gets late. What does this tell your reader about your character? Maybe that they are a normal high schooler but who wants to read that? What makes your character different? Give your character some spice. Remember though - cliché characters are still appreciated in my book!

Maybe there is something odd or out of the ordinary that they do in their morning routine. Maybe they eat granola and toast every morning and like it that way. Maybe they are have a habit of not leaving the house without a whole makeup routine before leaving for school (like me). Or maybe they have to help their younger or older family members wake up and cook them breakfast before a day job and night school.

Whatever you decide for your character, decide a good starting place for their story to be told.