Writing Characters With Wings!

So recently I have been researching wing atanomy and how to write characters with wings for a story I am currently working on and decided to make a chapter in this book dedicated to what I found for those of your fantasy writers who find themselves unsure of their character's wings.

1. Don't forget that your character actually has wings

Yes, I'm serious. If you just tell your reader that your character has wings in Chapter 1, it is not enough! If you do not keep in mind that your character has wings, then your readers will forget too.

Your character's wings are a part of their body, therefore a constant part of their life. They use them daily! They are always there! Be creative and find subtle ways to remind your reader of their presence!

2. Be able to imagine what kind of wings your character has

There are many different kinds of wings! This is the fun part in your research - imagining what your character's wings look like!

Here are a list of different types of wings.

- Flapping bat wings
- Graceful dove wings
- Gliding eagle wings
- Soaring raven wings
- Colorful parot wings
- Glorious dragon wings
- Flickering beetle wings
- Iridescent dragonfly wings
- Buzzing bee wings
- Fluttering butterfly wings
- Fragile moth wings

3. Research!

After you've chosen the right wings, do the research! This can also be very fun, depending on what kind of wings your character has! There are pros and cons to all wings but consider these pointers when researching.

- How fast can a creature with these types of wings fly? Can they take tight, sharp turns? Do they have to take wider turns and cannot easily avoid an unexpected twist or turn?

- How small/big are they? Width? Height?

- Are your character's wings fragile and thin? Are they strong and reliable in battle? Insect wings can be very thin and delicate meanwhile bird wings can be used for protection and higher flights.

- How high can their wings carry them? Can they cut through the clouds? Or maybe they do not possess the strength to bring them very far off the ground?

- Difficulties may arise from their surroundings. Doorways for bigger wings can be frustrating. Chairs can be uncomfortable to sit back in and cause stiffness from cramped wings. Climbing in through windows can also stir up difficulties.

- Clothing and shirts can also be a hassle. How does your character deal with this problem? Do they have to put on their clothes a different way? Do they wear specially made clothing with open space in the back? Or maybe they can easily tuck away their small wings under their shirt? For bigger wings, do they go shirtless? Can your character's wings disappear and reappear on command to avoid the following issues?

-Does rain hinder your character's flight? Do their wings easily get wet? Can they fly against a strong wind current?

- When in battle, can their wings be easily clipped or cut? Can they shield themselves with their wings? Are their wings any help at all when fighting/making an escape/protecting themselves? Do they heal and grow back in time or are they irreplaceable once lost?

- Are their wings always with them or do they only appear when they are summoned? Are they part of a magical transformation? Was your character born with them? Did they earn them?

- Does your character love to fly and always using their wings? Are they afraid of heights, therefore afraid to learn how to fly? Are they injured from a previous fight or accident and seeking their former glory? Maybe they just recently discovered their wings and fear them?

4. Your character's emotions, movements, etc.

While writing your character's emotions in your story, this may be a great opportunity to introduce body language and your character's wings are definitely part of their body that they control.

Yes, wings are more than just for the aesthetic and for flying. Wings are cool - if you know how to write them.

Here is what I mean. If your character is startled or scared, their wings may tense or shrivel behind them. If your character is happy or excited, their wings might perk up and unfurl. Or maybe they are laying down and relaxed, their wings will stretch out and appear loose. For upright sitting posture, their wings might fall and droop by their sides.

Other things wings can do:

- Involuntarily twitch/fidget
- Tire/ache from a strenuous or long flight
- Flutter/flap
- Furl/unfurl
- Arch upwards
- Fold/curl
- Shrink in size/shrivel
- Flare up/perk
- Swing/strike/hurl objects against an opponent in battle
- Smack/whack/bat
- Shed old feathers or skin
- Makeshift umbrella
- Parachute
- Shield/cocoon/blanket
- Point/gesture/wave
- glide/coast/soar/drift/carry through a wind current
- Fan

5. Read/watch movies with winged characters

Still need help getting inspired? Read other fantasy stories! Watch a movie with winged characters and study them!

How to Train Your Dragon, Maleficent, Tinker Bell, etc! Watch them all! Let them be your references!

Remember too that not all wings have to be real! They can be mechanical, robotic - even makeshift!

In Winx Club, Tecna's "wings" are not even really wings. She doesn't fly as she does glide through the air. Her "wings" resemble those of a hang glider. (Side note: this was a genuinely AWESOME show back in my childhood before Nick bought the rights from 4KidsTV and then ruined all the characters and the show itself, haha... yeah.) Her wings also disappeared by the time she resurfaced which I think was a really cool concept, other than having her "wings" be like all the other girls' fairy wings. She is the fairy of technology after all, therefore she must look like one.

Also, Hiccup had his own handmade wings too! In How to Train Your Dragon 2, Hiccup knew he couldn't rely on Toothless for his wings all the time. While freefalling from the sky, he is able to unfasten the latches on his suit to open his "wings". He can even unfurl one on his back to ensure sharp turns around opposing obstacles in his path on his descent.