Chapter 4

Mmmm chapter 4. Gah. Sorry they aren't very good. Still working on the character development. They are way to one dimensional.

Monster I Become- Chapter 4

    Nora and Karl let Jace go and they stand back as he runs toward me. I stare at him and he snaps at me, giant fangs growing where his tiny human canines should sit in his mouth. I jump him, pushing him up against the closest wall, the knife in my hand. His face returns to normal. A laugh rumbles in my throat.

    “Say goodbye to Stoner, Jace,” I whisper in his ear, dragging the knife delicately over his throat.

    “Calm her down, Jace!” a male voice calls from behind and Jace begins to tremble beneath my grasp.

    I trace my fingers up his waist on either side, one with the knife. Tears swell in his eyes and he attempts to plea for his life but his words fail him. Slowly, I lift the shirt and run the blade over his belly just enough the break the first couple layers. He holds back a cry of pain. I go over it again and watch as tiny droplets of blood begins to spill.

    “Jade,” he pleads, tears gushing down his cheeks. “Calm down, stop this, please.” He speaks more words but they blur together. “Jade, listen to me; I need you to listen to me.” Jace screams, punching wildly at me but I keep him pinned.

    They grab at my shoulders and pull me backwards. I fight against them but their combined strength is too much for me alone to handle. My back hits the coffee table and it shatters under my weight, shards of wood piercing my skin. I cry out in pain, the world turning red. Blood drips from the walls. Martin and Karl hold me down and I kick at them, trying to free myself from their grasp. My fist collides with Martins nose and he shouts in anger and I watch as a stream of a scarlet substance runs from his nostrils. I lash out again, hoping to catch one of them again.

    Nora leans over me, holding something in her hand. “Sorry,” she whispers and jabs me with a needle. I struggle with the sensation of sleep but collapse.

    When I wake, I am exhausted. My legs and arms are heavy and my hands are stained faintly with the colour red. What happened? Where am I? The room is dim but the little light that is there reflects off the white walls. There is a weak presence in the room and I tilt my head to the side to find the source.

    “Nora?”

    She smiles gently and brushes my bangs from my eyes. “I didn’t want to have done that but I didn’t have a choice, Jade. Please understand.”

    I nod, very vague memories flashing in my hand. The hallucinations, the knife, the blood. “What happened to Jace?”

    “He’s okay. You didn’t do too much damage. Don’t feel bad Jade, okay? It wasn’t your fault.”

    “This is why I’m here, isn’t it?”

    Nora frowns and looks down at her hands. She plays with a ring on her pinky. “People have found you, Jade and the kind of people you don’t want knowing about you. They always knew there was someone out there, in the world, with your abilities but they couldn’t identify you specifically until last night, at that party. Martin, Karl and I are here to protect you. There is a safe house in Ontario but that’s a long way from here so you are going to need to trust us to get you and Jace there safely. Got it?”