Chapter 5

And here we arrrre. I'm probably going to change up the ending a bit..

I don't know.

Sorry this sucks. It's not my best work.

Monster I Become- Chapter 5

    “Climb in,” Nora instructs and both Jace and I jump into the back of a Volkswagen blue van that had been parked behind the cabin.

    I buckle up. “What’s going on?” No one answers me as Martin, Karl and Nora pile in. Nora explains that they had grabbed pre-packaged luggage to bring with them. Toiletries and changes of clothes are available for everyone once we reach our location. “Will someone tell me what’s going on?”

    “People discovered your location,” Nora says as we grumble out further into the forest down a trail. “We are heading to the next safe house in Alberta.”

    “That’s like a five hour drive!” I exclaim. “I can’t sit back here for five hours!”

    Nora glances back at me through the rear-view mirror. “Sorry Jade but we don’t have a choice. We’ll stop at a hotel in about an hour. In about ten minutes we’ll be on the high way. There are some books underneath your seat if you get bored.”

    I lean my head between my legs and shuffle my hands around on the floor and sure enough, I pull out three novels I don’t recognize. “Thanks,” I mutter and dive my attention into the thickest of the three.

    “It’s getting late.” Martin’s voice pulls me from my book. “We should stop at the next hotel, Nora.”

    Sure enough, I glance out the window into darkness. How long had we been on the road? “Where are we?”  I ask. Beside me, Jace is fast asleep, his soft snores filling the silence before my response.

    “At the last town before the border between Alberta and British Colombia,” Nora answers. “We’re going to pull over at the nearest hotel to stay the night. How are you doing?”

    “I’m okay,” I say and wince as I shift my position, “a little sore though.” I slide the book back beneath my seat.

    I watch out the window as the van pulls into a parking lot. Karl gets out and two minutes later, he comes back out and motions for us to come. I guess they had a vacant room. Carefully, I wake Jace and he groans sluggishly. We grab the very few bags there are and enter the hotel. It is nothing fancy with cheap hard wood floors and plain white walls with a couple of pictures.

    We all sit on the sofas besides Nora who talks to the man at the desk. The young person calls someone and only moments later, a tall man appears. His eyes light up as he sees Nora then frowns with realization sparking his sad face. They hug and Nora talks to him and he nods.

     She comes back to us. “The room is all paid for.” Nora holds up the key card. “Let’s head up.”