Chapter Three

After 8 centuries of flourescent lighting, true, honest-to-God sunlight is painful. My retinas burned from the brightness, and it took a good ten minutes to get used to it. 

Once I did, I was amazed. 

The world was beautiful... The sky was a pale pinkish-blue of the early morning sunrise. The air was crisp and cool.

I clicked the button on the car keys, and an automobile a short ways away blinked its lights. A very good-looking automobile. A Jeep Wrangler, of a dark red color. The inside was black leather with white stitching. 

Very good. I set the purse in the passenger seat, and took a few minutes to get used to driving. I also snooped around in the glove box, and found a small pistol, insurance papers, tissues, a brush, a few stray hair ties, and an empty gum container. I got the brush and hair ties out and brushed out my tangles, and pulled my long, hip length black waves into two long french braids. Ah, much better. 

Then I got on the road and headed through the dry, desert-like area towards the buildings in the distance, passing a sign stating that I'd just left Area 51.

Behind me, the facility I'd been in captivity for so long... exploded. 

I drove for about eight hours. I passed a California state sign, and when I reached a town called Fresno, I finally parked in the lot of a department store named Walmart. I was surprised at how somewhat up-to-date I was with modern times- I would constantly read the minds of the doctors, and found out a lot about government changes, politics, modern renovations, everything. It's how I kept up with the outside world. 

I grabbed the purse and headed to the entrance. Once inside, I was bombarded with sights, smells, and sounds. My senses were on overload... I loved it. 

There were people of all ages, all types. 

I took a deep breath, grabbed a silver cart, and went to find the clothes. Fortunately, the store was well-organized with signs to guide you. I found the women's section, and grabbed a few of everything. Tank tops, tshirts, long sleeved shirts, jeans, skinny jeans, capris, skirts, shorts, bras, underwear, a fur jacket and a leather jacket, sandals, and boots, and heels. If I liked what I saw, I grabbed it. 

Before long, the cart was nearly full of just clothing items. 

I then got a decent purse, so I could get rid of the stolen one, as well as a wallet. I also got a deep blue duffel bag, my own hairbrush, and got in line. 

As the cashier man scanned and bagged my merchandise, he kept looking at me every chance he got. It made me kind of paranoid.

"Is there something you would like to say to me- like the reason you keep staring?" I demanded as firmly, but as politely as I could. As soon as I spoke, he looked taken aback. 

"You're French? That's cool, he chuckled. At my puzzled look, he added, "I could  tell by your accent. It's not, like, obnoxiously strong, but it's obvious. It's kinda hot," he shrugged shamelessly. 

"Thank you..."

"Anyway, I was just staring because you're... well, gorgeous, and you look like you've been through Hell. Bad night at the hospital or something?" he gestured to my scrubs. I looked down, and realized I'd gotten small amounts of blood on them from messing with the corpses.

"You... could say that," I nodded.  

"Sucks to hear that. I'm sorry. So, your total is... $183.67," he smiled. I discreetly pulled out two hundred dollar bills from the purse, so that the customer behind me would not notice the alarming amount of cash... and blood bags, and told him to keep the change, and walked out. 

When I reached the Jeep, I put the empty duffel bag in the backseat, and started folding clothes as I pulled them out of their bags and placed them neatly in the duffel. The bloodbags went in my new purse, and the cash all went into the duffel bag, except for $1000, which went into the wallet and into the new purse. I tossed the stolen one in the trash, and threw the brush into the duffel as well. I put the sandals on, and left the duffel in the back and the purse in the front, got in the driver's seat, and pulled out a blood bag. I drained it quickly, reveling in the taste and the power. 

As I watched people in the parking lot- teenagers skateboarding, adults smoking, kids playing... I made a decision. Though it was still my quest to murder anyone who had anything to do with my captivity and my family's death, I would not live my life in anger and hatred anymore. If I carried it all with me, it would be no difference than being in the facility, even if my body remained intact. I would not let the facility keep its hold on me. No... instead, I would live a relatively normal life. School, perhaps... friends, a job, maybe... perhaps even in the medical field- what sadistic irony.

Love, maybe... that would be nice. I find I'd like to be in love... I just couldn't see myself getting that close to anyone. Then again, perhaps that's what true love is about- being the only person you can trust yourself with... yes, that would be so very nice. 

What to do now... the sun would be setting fairly soon, what with it being autumn. The leaves were nearly all orange, and the temperature remained nice and cool all day. I should find somewhere sleep for the night. I started the Jeep and drove around for a couple of hours, memorizing the roads and where everything is. It was quite easy- I did not know if it was a vampire trait or just something special about me, but it seemed I had photographic memory. Very cool. 

I found a quite nice hotel, and pulled into the lot. My purse on one arm, my duffle bag on the other, I strolled into the lobby.

"Good evening, sir," I said to the desk man. He looked up from his magazine, and immediately straightened. 

"Good evening, ma'am. Would you like a room?" he smiled.

"Yes, please," I replied... what else would I want? I had a duffle bag... what else would I be there for?

"Here you go. It'll be $120 for the night," he said, handing me a key. I handed him the money, took the key, and located the room on the third floor. It was nice- red carpet, cream-colored walls. The bed was tan and white themed. I set my purse and duffle on the bed, and laid down.

"Si confortable!" I sighed in French. It was so comfortable! I'd never laid on anything to heavenly. I could sleep forever on this!

I got up, though, and stripped, and put on one of my new bras and a pair of cheeky underwear. Both were red and black lace, and surprisingly comfortable. As I raided the mini-fridge full of soda, water, energy drinks, alcohol, and an assortment of snacks, I decided that I would like staying here. 

Little did I know... I would not be staying through the night. 

**************************************************************************************************

So? Huh? Huh? lol

Picture of how she put her hair in braids attached, as well as what her face looks like. Just imagine her eyes as more of a yellowy-gray color. :)

Vote Comment and Follow, and don't forget to smile, my lovelies!