Chapter Nine

"A 'Halloween Ball'?" I read the flyer being passed around in Calculus.

"More specifically, a 'Heaven and Hell Halloween Ball'," Blake pointed out.

"'Halloween costume contest! Contestants must only be dressed as servants of Heaven- angels, fairies, and elves, and such- or Hell- devils, demons, and vampires. If you do not wish to be a contestant, you can dress as whatever you want!'" I read aloud.

"Damn. Really limited choice for a contest," Luke commented.

"Well, I'm not entering- cause I'm gonna be a ghost," Blake winked. Jacob groaned in exasperation.

"You're a ghost every year!" he sighed in irritated humor.

"Duh. Wouldn't you be one, if you had my ability?"

"True. Well, I'm gonna be a werewolf."

"What about you? What are you gonna be?" Blake asked me.

"I'm going to be a vampire," I grinned wickedly.

"Oh, cool! Hey, you and Luke will match- he's almost always Dracula," Blake grinned. My smile faded.

"Oh, that's neat," I nodded, my interest waned.

Yes, I was still not speaking to Luke. I knew I was being ridiculous, but I couldn't seem to get myself to care. The past few nights had been quite... awkward. I'd slept on the chaise instead of the bed, and it was not quite as comfortable. As I'd laid in the dark, I'd realized why it had bothered me, Luke and Alison's whole sex thing, and when I did, I didn't want to admit it, even to myself.

So I just ignored the whole situation altogether.

When the bell rang, we left Hall 2 and made it into the rotunda... and I froze. A group of men and women were walking across the large area, wearing scrubs and masks and carrying clipboards. Some had small blood spatters across their shirts, and I immediately jumped to the worst conclusion.

They were here. The doctors were here for me... they found me, and have come to take me back! They must have traced the Jeep... I was about to turn and run, but a thought occurred... why run, when I could just kill the humans now and end this?

I manipulated the minds of all humans in the vicinity so that they would see nothing suspicious- even the doctors, so that their deaths would be sudden and unknown.

Then... I lunged, snarling, growls ripping up my throat, my fangs bared. I was almost there, when several pairs of hands grabbed me and pulled me back. No! An ambush- the doctors were a distraction, to get me to divert my attention! Those bastards!

I whipped around, snapping my fangs at my captors.

"Ow! She bit me!" Blake's voice registered somewhere in my brain, but I didn't slow down, even as I realized I'd snapped at the boys.

"They've come for me! I'm not letting those doctors take me back! I'll kill them first!" I snarled, and turned to attack the doctors again.

"No!" They shouted, and pulled me back again. One had my neck in a vice hold, one had his arms around my body, pinning my arms to my sides. And then Luke stepped in my view of the doctors, angering me.

"Dammit! They're getting away! Let me go! They're gonna report back, and then they'll be able to find me and take me back! Let me go!!!" I struggled against futilely.

"Aurelie!" Luke commanded, and I felt a wave of calm flow through my body.

"Get your mood shit out of me and let me fucking go!" I growled.