one

this will have mature themes and probably no sex, but if there is, then it will be way later on.

also, pete is treated like a child in this chapter, but he was abused for four years almost and told no one. so that's why.

"I'll fucking get you! Wait until I get out of jail!" Nathan yells as he's being taken away. I cry into Andy's chest, who can do nothing but hold me as I break down.

"Hey, shh, it's over. It's fine, you're good," He reassures me, palming my back. A woman police officer approaches us and puts her hand on my back.

"Honey, we're gonna take you and your friend to the hospital. Get you all fixed up. Sounds good, yeah?" She asks gently, and I nod. She gives me a warm smile, and I hold Andy's hand with one of mine and hers with the other.

She lets me sit in the front of her police car, making Andy sit in the back. I can't bring myself to make a joke about how it looks like we're taking Andy to jail.

As we arrive at the hospital, Andy opens my door for me and basically carries me to the entrance. I'm greeted by a woman doctor, who gives me the same smile the police officer did.

"Sweetie, come with me," She lets me hold her hand as we walk to the X-Ray room, if I had to guess. Andy follows closely behind me.

The X-Ray's show that my nose is broken along with three cracked ribs and a broken thumb. She shakes her head, her lip going between her teeth as she gently bites on it.

Sometimes I wonder why I couldn't have been attracted to women. I might not have ended up in this situation if I wasn't gay. The doctor seems like she'd be my type if I was into her gender. Orange hair and pretty eyes.

"Pete, babe," Andy gently shakes my body to get me to look at the lady. She smiles, and I feel awkward for not smiling back.

"It's okay, Pete, is it? Follow my finger, please," I try but miserably fail when she moves back a step, my vision blurring. "Aha," She comments. "You need glasses. I'll escort you to Doctor Joseph after I get a cast on that thumb,"

She tells me to lift my shirt, and after Andy turns around, I do. I don't want him to have to see me like this. It makes me not feel strong, like I'm a child because I couldn't force my boyfriend off of me.

She wraps my ribs and says that Andy can turn back after she drops my shirt. I'm glad that he respects my decisions. He's the only man I can be around right now, I'm certain of it. Andy's been basically my brother since we were born.

She quickly puts a cast on my right thumb, and I wince when she touches it. She shakes her head and mumbles something to the effect of, "What is wrong with people nowadays? Can't keep their hands off of the person they love,"

Andy lets me hold his hand again as we walk to the doctor's office. When the door opens, I see a man with soft brown eyes with hair to match. I push Andy in front of me and cling to his shirt from behind.

I hear him apologise to the man for me, and the guy just sort of smiles, I can see from between Andy's arm and his body. I hear he and Andy talking about something, but I don't concentrate on it.

Doctor Joseph clears his throat, and Andy steps out of the way. He takes off his glasses and kneels down to where he's way shorter than I am.

"Hi, Pete, my name is Tyler," He says and gives me a very small smile. "I was wondering if you'd let me help you see well again,"

I find myself nodding somehow, and his smile becomes bigger. Andy gives me a thumbs up and helps me onto the table. He lets me hold his hand again.

"All I need you to do is cover one eye and read off the letters," Tyler says softly.

"I can't read any of them except the 'A,'" I tell him. He nods, I think.

"Great job, Pete! Would you like a sticker?" He praises me. I nod gently about the sticker, and I get a bear holding a balloon.

"Can Andy have a sticker, too?" I ask. Tyler nods enthusiastically. "Andy, pick out a sticker,"

Andy smiles at me and gets one that matches mine. I high-five Andy as we walk out of Tyler's office. "Thank you,"

"Any time," The doctor says as we continue down the hall. Andy isn't paying attention and runs into a man with very curly hair that's shaved on the sides.

"Shit, sorry," Andy says as he helps the guy up. I hide behind Andy when he stands straight up. Their eyes meet, and Andy's widen. "You're fucking beautiful," The guy blushes.

"Thanks," He says. I think he finally notices me behind Andy because he's suddenly quiet. I hear Andy whisper something, and then the guy addresses me. "Hi, Pete, I'm Joseph, but you can call me Joe,"

My breathing picks up, and Andy seems to notice. "Hey, I think we should go," Andy says awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

I think Joe grabs his hand and writes his number on it. "I'll see you later?" Joe asks hopefully, and Andy nods.

Joe edges past us so that he doesn't see me, probably something Andy suggested. I hug Andy from behind, and he places his hands on top of my arms.

"Who was that?" I whisper. Andy shrugs.

"My future husband," He promises, and I laugh for the first time. Andy joins in as we continue to walk. We see the woman doctor from earlier, and she motions us over.

"Hello, Pete, Andy," She smiles. I wave shortly, and Andy just nods. "I'd like to introduce you to someone. This is Ashley, but most people call her Halsey,"

Andy smiles, but I do nothing. "Hi, Pete," She smiles at me, and I drop my head, embarrassed. "I'm the founder of Chicago's domestic abuse shelter,"

I pull Andy down and whisper, "What's that?" in his ear. He smiles at me in return. Andy repeats the question to her, and she laughs.

"We help abuse victims get back on their feet by providing them with a volunteer to take care of them. Doctor Williams suggested you and I should make a visit down there," She points down a side hall.

"Is that where it's at?" I ask. She smiles, probably glad to be making progress with me.

"Correct. No one told me you were extremely smart," She says, and I blush, dropping my head again.

Andy holds my hand as we walk to the shelter. We make it there in no time, and Ashley opens the door. There are a lot of women sitting around and smiling. I see no men.

Halsey introduces me to a lot of them, and they all smile at me. They're very nice.

"Now, I'd like you to meet who would end up being your volunteer. Patrick," She calls out.

--

okay chapter one! I love this idea and how corresponds to real life. I feel like there needs to be a book like this written for the peterick fandom, to address real life and not just that life is perfect and will always be perfect.

everything isn't all "oops wrong number dick pic and we end up dying from it". low blow? I think so.