Chapter 3 - Listen

Hi! This chapter is for Carrbage1234 because she was my first follower!

Year 3094, April 27

The automatic voice speaks again."welcome to Room Zero. A speaker will be here shortly." I wonder what the Test will be like? Will we be together or separate? Is there a way out? I see a lady in a blue dress walk in. She has beautifully curled hair, and I think she is wearing contact lenses. "Welcome to the one-hundred twenty second annual Test! Before you leave, you will be prepared for what you may encounter. I am Presiah, and I am the head judge. Some of you will be heading to room 1, and a couple to room 2. There, you will meet another judge. He will explain the rest. Now, Karah and Josai, please head to room 2. Karinna, Choe, Manuel, and Uilom please go to room 1. Good luck!" Presiah's voice was shrilly and fake. I decided I couldn't trust her, not yet at least.

Josai talking to me jerked me right out of my thoughts. Was there any sort of peace around here? "Karah, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I almost said 'How would I know what you're thinking??' but decided against it. Saying that would only rile him up, and that would not help me escape at all. Instead, I decide to be polite and courteous. " What are you thinking?" Josai has a weird look on his face, and I'm not quite sure why. Finally, after a very, very awkward silence, he responds, "you mean you can't perceive brain waves? Everyone from year 5678 can do it." 5678?? 5678? How could he be from 5678? Must be another government trick. "FYI, this is year 3094, not 5678." Josai will probably go to the insane asylum- not that I would care. "No, no, this is 5678. You really should take better care of the brain enhancements you choose." Brain enhancements? Year 5678? There was something just wrong going on here. "We'll talk later. See you, Josai."

Josai and Karah walk back to their room, and Josai checks for bugs. He finds three, disengages them and puts them in his pocket, apparently saving them for later.

"Josai, how could you possibly live in 5678 and me in 3094?" His eyes have already given it away, but I feel the need to ask the question. "I know your smart Karah", he replies in that "you-should-know-this-kind-of-thing" type of voice. "And if we're going to escape, you need to stop asking worthless questions. You have the right to know the answer, yes, but you shouldn't ask if you already know the answer." I feel like that some how has a double meaning, but I can't put my finger on it. Hopefully he'll tell me.

"Attention Girls and Boys, but we do need to start. Please come with me." He has acorn colored hair, and is wearing a suite and tie. He looks hansom in a kind of way that says "I. Am. Awesome. NOT." We walk through a blue door, and into a conference room. The man motions for us to sit, so we do. Pressiah enters the room, this time wearing a honey-yellow dress. "Welcome back, children. You have smart minds and high IQ's. I will not state who, but one of you has a IQ of 1. Even though you have been tought that 300 is highest, 1 is the best. The other has 3, which is still a marvelous IQ. Do you know where you are, children?" Good question. No. How in the world would we know? Maybe Josai knows, and I'm guessing he's the 1. I'm probably a 300, and Pressiah just forgot two zeros. Josai is concentrating hard, then says "well, according to the GPS of the Star Spangle, we are precisly 3.70.324... In the Palace of Stonedge. We're... We're... Prisoners? What did we do?" The Palace of Stonedge was what everyone new as "The unbreakable, impenetrable fortress prison" This was bad. This is very bad.