Programs and Tools for Establishing and Maintaining Focus

Written by JessicaBFry

In the middle of Nanowrimo, we have many things competing for our time and attention, but the one thing that can always help is having a good focus. There's a popular Facebook meme that says the secret to successful writing is 3% writing and 97% avoiding getting distracted on the Internet. If only that weren't true. But it is.

So here are some quick and easy tricks that you can help yourself avoid those distractions.

Simplest Solution: Unplug

The simplest solution for increasing your focus is to get yourself off to a place where you can be left alone. A place without your usual distractions. In some cases, this may mean going into a room in the library and having no access to the Internet or your phone. If you can't actually get away from the Internet, you can always unplug it or turn it off.

Personally, I find that when I'm struggling to focus that the best thing is to start handwriting. Sure, it's slower, but because of the kinesthetic aspect, it's easier to get into the zone. Even if you only do this for a little bit to prime yourself before moving to your laptop or computer, it can go a long way toward helping you to get in the groove and focus.

Get A Blocking Program

Sometimes you can't avoid the Internet. You have to get stuff done or you have to retain your access for one reason or another. However, you can get applications or plugins/addons that will allow you to restrict access to certain sites for certain periods of time.

LeechBlock, StayFocusd, Tiny Filter, and Nanny

LeechBlock is a Firefox addon that allows you to enter specific time periods to block particular sites. It's fairly popular and allows you to block up to six different sites and even for set periods of time on specific days. It's quite functional and doesn't seem to cause problems with lag.

StayFocusd is the Chrome version of this, and it follows the same pattern as Leechblock. Tiny Filter is a slightly more powerful tool that is more often used to block harmful websites. It has an automatic profanity filter, but it can also be used to established predefined filters to restrict access to certain sites for a set period of time. Nanny is another Chrome online filter that has the advantage of block sets that allow you to block access to several specific sites for a set period on a regular basis.

Cold Turkey and Self Control

Cold Turkey is another popular option that just requires Window. It isn't browser specific, and it provides timers as well as blockers. They have a free version as well as a paid version. Self Control provides a Mac alternative with a sleek system that provides the same core features. From what I can tell, there is only a free version available.

KeepMeOut

KeepMeOut is not based on a specific browser. It has a slightly more powerful skill set, allowing users to build specific pages that then have precise rules. However, the advantage that this site has is that you can still access most of the pages that you set up except that it gives you a warning you must acknowledge before you can access the site. Sometimes this warning is all it takes to get you back on track, but it still allows you access in case of an emergency.

Choose a Focus Program

Sometimes you just have to remember your priorities and how important it is to just focus for a brief period. If you find yourself struggling, not just with getting distracted on Facebook, Pinterest, or Wattpad, then you might consider programs that encourage your focus by showing you your goal and your time interval.

Focus Booster

The Pomodoro Technique revolves around focusing intently on working on a task for 25 minutes and then taking a 5 minute break to decompress and enjoy yourself. Focus Booster is built off this premise, and it has a free option for both Windows and Mac users. Essentially it acts as a countdown for the 25 minute interval and then lets you have 5 minutes off before the countdown starts back up.

Full Screen

Some programs like Scrivener have an automatic Full Screen mode. If you don't see that feature on your word processor, you can create a pseudo one by resizing your writing screen to fill the screen.

Ommwriter

Minimalist writing apps essentially create a full screen experience that reduces restrictions and sometimes reverse the screen and text color to allow for greater focus. Ommwriter started off as a Mac program, but now it's available for Mac and Windows. It provides various backgrounds and sound effects with a simple but sophisticated interface.

Grandview

One of the problems you may find yourself struggling with is your inner editor. While most minimalist writing apps and programs allow you to focus in on the larger screen, Grandview (only available for Mac right now) takes it to a whole new level by only allowing you to see one word at a time. So it quite literally takes away your ability to see the whole story and makes you focus on each word as you go.

Focus Writer

This one used to be one of my favorites. It's just a simple open source and multiplatform program that let's you just start writing in a simple and distraction free environment. It's completely free, and you can set up backgrounds on it. (I used to set up inspirational pictures for each chapter as I wrote to keep myself in the zone.)

Quiet Write

If you don't want to download something, you can always choose Quiet Write. It's a free web app that allows you to save online and come back later with your account. I haven't used it for awhile, but it's fairly easy to focus on and quite nice for reducing distractions.

You can find all kinds of alternatives to these programs out there, but hopefully these help you to identify some programs and resources that can help you increase your focus. Whatever you find that helps you on your way, just make sure that you keep doing that. And if you can't do what's best, do whatever you can.

Do you have any programs or secrets you'd like to share? Feel free to comment and let us know! Keep writing and happy Nanowrimoing!