Chapter 1 - The Painted Lady

• Dedicated to My Ana

        Aang and Sokka searched the Northern Water Tribe city for what felt like hours, but there was no sign of Katara. In the commotion of becoming the Ocean spirit and Yue's subsequent dissipation into the Moon, neither the Avatar nor the Southern Water Tribe boy had noticed the waterbender's absence. But now they couldn't find her anywhere, and both of the boys became more worried with every second that went by.

         “Where could she have gone?”

         Sokka sighed at Aang's question, asked for the hundredth time that night. “I don't know, Aang. I don't know!” With a frustrated growl he kicked a snowdrift, causing a flurry that drifted over the water, seemingly as restless as Sokka himself.

         “We've looked everywhere--she's not here!”

         “I know, Aang. But I don't-”

         Suddenly the breath was knocked out of Sokka as Momo came flying at him, hitting him square in the chest and pushing him to the ground. “Momo! What-”

         By then the little lemur was tugging at Sokka's hair, chattering excitedly. Aang was just about to grab the creature when Momo leaped up and away from them, flying towards the grotto. Aang and Sokka ran after him, shouting for the lemur to come back.

         Momo, of course, being of superior intellect than the silly humans, ignored them. Instead, he continued on his heading, aiming for the cliffs above the grotto.

         By the time Aang and Sokka made it into the grotto and up onto the windswept cliffs, Momo was tugging at something in the snow, chattering excitedly and attempting to pull it out. Whatever 'it' was, Sokka thought angrily. Stupid lemur! Sokka didn't know how he was supposed to get--

         Then he saw what Momo was digging up, and he sank down onto his knees to tug at it himself. It was a Fire Nation helm--but what would it be doing on this forsaken cliff? Sokka's warrior instincts asserted themselves, and he leaped to his feet, searching the cliff with his eyes.

         Beside him, Aang was oblivious, simply trying to calm Momo down.

         Sokka's eyes followed a trail of footprints and scorched earth and--he sucked in his breath--and puddles of freezing water, obviously disturbed by a waterbender.

         Katara.

         “Aang! Look!”

         Aang followed Sokka's lead, searching the cliffs. They followed the trail, searching for signs of Katara, when Momo lunged for another spot.

         “What is it, boy?”

         Aang and Sokka watched as Momo pulled at the scorched earth and melted snow, chattering at them. Sokka shook his head, confused, as Aang murmured a low 'what, boy, what?'. But Momo couldn't speak, and they couldn't see what the lemur did.