Chapter 37 - Firelight Fountain

Zuko wasn't sure why he was lighting the lamps. All he knew was that he was. Jin had looked so sad... he couldn't just let her be that way when he knew that he could do something about it.

"Okay. Now you can look."

Jin breathed out "Oh wow!"

She looked so happy. She was pretty. And she had been right. The fountain was beautiful.

"What happened? How did they light? What did- you...?"

She looked at him, and he just smiled. And stood taller, and looked out over the fountain with her.

It sparkled. Like Kara's eyes, he thought. She would love this- it reminds me of home, during the Fire Festival.

He turned, about to say something about it. But then he remembered that it wasn't Kara beside him. It was Jin.

He turned back to the fountain.

Jin took his hand. She felt different than Kara. Not as... right.

Jin turned to him, moved closer.

Zuko stuck a tea coupon in front of her face. He didn't know what else to do.

"I brought you something. It's a coupon for a free cup of tea."

"Lee. This is so sweet." She took the coupon. Zuko moved away.

"Don't thank me. It was my uncle's idea. He thinks you're a most valuable customer."

"Your uncle is a good teacher." Jin pulled him around to face her. "I have something for you, too. Now it's your turn to close your eyes."

Zuko did, even though he knew what she meant.

Maybe this could work. Maybe it would help him forget Kara- Katara. The girl he could never have.

Jin pressed her lips against his.

And it felt... wrong. Totally, completely wrong.

Zuko pulled away.

"What's wrong?"

"It's complicated. I have to go."

He turned and ran from the fountain. From her. Because she would never be the girl he wanted. Needed.

She wasn't Kara.

_________

I know, I know, it's super short, but it's a message that I want to get across without any interference, so it has to be. I'll make it up to you! (say, for instance... that if I have five comments by 3 I'll update another chappie...) :D

COMMENT and vote!

-Eon