5. Breaking boundaries

They got a taxi back to the hotel. Matt sat in the back with Cara, and neither of them spoke. Cara was boiling with nerves in case he made a move. She knew she would have to decline but she wasn't sure how that might go.

She started as she felt his hand move over hers. He made no other move, he just held her hand until they were back at the Pavilion hotel. After he paid the driver he walked with her back into the lobby.

"I'm not going to ask you to come up for a nightcap because it would be blatantly obvious I didn't just want a drink," he said. "But I would like you to come up. I don't want this evening to end just yet and it's not private here."

Cara didn't want the evening to end either. For a moment she wavered, feeling as though she was on one side of a line that probably shouldn't be crossed.

"I can come up for a bit," she said.

They went up in the elevator to his floor, which was higher up than hers. He opened the door and ushered her in.

Like her room it was immaculate. The sheets taut and pristine over the bed. Anything that Matt might have left strewn around was tidied away by the chambermaids.

He had a sea view from his balcony, the same as hers, and she went over to the window to look at the ocean. The moon shone silver on the waters.

She felt him step behind her. His arms went around her and for a moment they stood there.

Then he turned her towards him, wordlessly, and brushed a curl of hair off her face.

The next moment his lips were on hers, hard, urgent. She felt her body swoon into his kiss almost like a kind of relief. His tongue was probing her, exploring her and she reciprocated.

Cara was glad that the room was dark. He hadn't turned any lights on, the only illumination came from lights outside and the moon over the ocean.

Her head was swimming. She was alone with this man in his room, it was clear where things were leading.

And she wanted him badly.

His hand supported the small of her back as he continued to embrace her. He kissed down her neck and onto her shoulder, slipping down the thin strap so her skin was bare against his lips.

She ran her hands over his back, feeling the heat of his skin through his shirt and the muscle of his back. He was so much taller and stronger than her. Knowing his superior strength - how she was literally in his hands - gave her a shivery feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She could smell the heat of him, the faint trace of soap, the maleness.

Matt ran his fingers through her hair, freeing it so it tumbled down loose about her shoulders. Cara felt wanton: her dress nearly slipping off, her hair unbound.

Then his hand moved to her ribs, his thumb brushing the side of her breast as he held her to him. His hands were strong yet gentle, insistent but not hurting her.

Somehow he manoeuvred her towards the bed, pushing her down onto the white covers. He was firm but not rough.

Her hair was spilling over the pillow and she looked up into his eyes, dark in the dim light, but she could still see the intensity there. Because she felt the same.

Slowly he slipped her dress down, exposing her bra, down to her stomach. He unclasped it and ran his hands over her breasts, her naked skin thrilling to his touch.

"God you're beautiful," he told her.

Before she could find words to respond to him his lips were on hers again, passionate, tasting her, teasing her. He trailed kisses down her throat, over the top of her breasts. His mouth went over her nipple and drew it in and she cried out.