nine

The sound of police sirens rang in my ears. Smoke clouded my vision, as I tapped the cigarette butt between my fingers. Rarely ever did I smoke, but when I did, it was because I was stressed. And at this moment in time, that is exactly what state I was in.

I leaned on the windowpane, taking a drag and slowly exhaling into the frigid atmosphere.

Far below my window, a mother walked with her small daughter clinging to her hand. Something obviously caught this girl's attention, as she scurried away from her mother, her curly blonde hair bouncing with every step. She ran ahead before tripping over a crack in the pavement, falling forward. Immediately, she broke into a fit of tears, her mother rushing to her aid. Blood dripped from her knee as her mom fumbled for a tissue in her black, expensive-looking handbag, pressing it against the scrape, and kissing the girls forehead before picking her up and continuing to walk.

I sighed, pressing the burning cigarette into the ashtray beside me. My teeth bit down hard against my bottom lip as I gathered the wax of money that was tucked in my journal, which was saving the page of my previous entry.

And then I found myself knocking on her door. I held my breath as I waited, and then the door leisurely opened, Venus standing behind it and rubbing at her temple.

"Oh, hi Shawn. What--" she paused and looked as though she had realized something. Probably about the previous night. "Uh...what are you doing here?"

I stood there for a moment. I hadn't thought this through. My fingers tightened their grip on the warm paper in my palm, as I held out the money towards her.

"For you."

Her eyes flicked down to the rubber band wrapped stack of money. She was confused. I don't blame her, it's not every day a stranger hands you a few hundred dollars for no stated reason.

"Why do you think I need your money?" Her hand fell from her face, pushing my offering into my chest. I still didn't know what to say. Did she remember last nights' exchange?

I held it back out to her. "Go see your mom. I know she's sick. I know you need to see her. So here's enough to go visit her. Take it, it's yours."

Her lips parted, she was speechless. "I can't take it. I can't take your money. As tempting as it sounds, I'm not--I can't--"

"Please, you need it more than I do." I pleaded.

She shook her head quickly. "No, but thank you." Suddenly, the door was closed, and I was alone.

My hands still shaking, I placed my hand on my chest, feeling the constant ticking of my heart. Do I walk away now? Do I stay and make her take the money?

I'm knocking on her door again. I'm an idiot, what am I doing?

She opened the door again, leaning her head on the doorway, a pained look on her face.

"Headache?" I asked.

"Yes, and if you knocked again to try and give me your money, please just don't try again, I'm not--"

"Look, Venus, I know how much this means to you. I know you miss your mom. I know you're worried about her, and I know you need this money. I'm not asking you to take this, I'm telling you to. You don't owe me anything, you don't need to thank me. This doesn't even ever have to come up again. So here," I gently placed the money in the center of her soft hands and closed her fingers around it,"It's yours. Now I'm going to go back into my apartment, and you're going to go back inside and pack your things and you will be on the next flight to Nevada, and this will have never happened. Okay?"

Without letting her say anything, I turned around and entered my apartment as promised, shutting the door behind me and quickly positioning my eye to the peephole. I watched as she stood there, shocked for a moment, and she smiled. Her crooked white teeth displayed and all. What did that mean, though? When she turned around and closed the door, the answer was clear.

About an hour later, as I was preparing homemade chicken-noodle soup, there were several jumbled knocks on the door.

Wiping my hands on a towel, I went to the door, opening it. And there she stood, clad with a black tank top and a pair of denim shorts and her smile still booming. She looked so pretty, but doesn't she always? Beside her was a large red suitcase. She was on her way to the airport.

As Venus stood in front of me, I suddenly felt mortified to be in my too-small 'Kiss The Cook' apron. Before I had time to take it off, though, she had already engulfed me in a hug. I wrapped my arms around her, pressing her tighter against me, feeling every curve against my own.

Her arms were still around my neck as she concluded the hug. Her face was hardly millimeters from mine. My nose merely grazed hers as my eyes watched her ruby lips move. Temptation washed over me, and I became drowsy and weak. She was right here, literally in my arms. Slowly, I leaned in to kiss her, but she ripped away from my clutch.

"What are you doing?" she half-laughed.

I straightened up, retracting my hands from her. "Noth--Uh--I don't know..." I muttered.

"Well, I came to thank you. For, well, you know. The thing that never actually happened." she winked. Oh, there I go again! I can't feel my legs.

"You're welcome." I responded.

"No really, thank you, it means a lot. You're so sweet."

Shit, I love you.

"Oh. That was nothing," My cheeks were hot. I was blushing. Oh god.

"I have to go now, but thank you again." Venus sighed. Then, she stood on her tip toes, those lips of hers brushing my cheek. Weak.

She beamed again, walking quickly down the hall.

Shit, I love her.