Chapter 7

Whitman POV

Finally I got to leave the office. I was practically the last one to leave. I could feel the need to get back home pumping through my chest and it was overwhelming. It was so crazy to have feelings for someone I almost hit with my car just last night. Was love-at-first-sight a real thing? I suppose it's possible. I mean how else could I explain what I'm feeling.

I shook my head, I can't be in love with him. He's homeless for godsake, and he actually chose to be. Although he did it to get away from his abusive father, I would have chosen to do the same most likely. Can I really be in love. No its not possible, but it is possible to have feelings and I know for sure that's what I have for him. As to how those feelings will progress I don't know but no matter what happens I will not let him go back to the streets.

I pulled into a parking space inside and got out then walked to the elevator. On the way up I unfastened my tie, the damn thing feels like a noose. I hate having to dress up like this.

Finally I got out and headed for my door. Once I opened it a strange smell hit my nose. Food. He cooked. I smiled as it set my briefcase down and threw my keys in the blue glass bowl by the door. I walked through the hall and into the kitchen to see him setting three bowls filled with who knows what, but it smelled fantastic.

I shrugged off my jacket and walked up to him hugging him from behind. He stiffened for a second them relaxed just as quick. He turned around smiling up at me. He sat his hands on my shoulders, "Hi, I'm glad you're back."

I smiled, "As am I."

We stared into each other eyes and the urge to kiss him grew stronger so I slowly lowered my head down stopping long enough to get his permission, and when I got it I closed the distance. The kiss was light and very sweet. He had the sweetest lips; lips that I could kiss for hours on end.

He pulled away from me smiling, "I made you my famous Chicken Stew."

"Famous chicken stew huh."

He nodded pulling my chair out. I sat down waiting for him to join but instead he walked to the guest room. And out walked a older man he looked to be in his mid 50s. I stood up once they stopped at the table. I held my hand out to the man, "George I presume. My name is Whitman."

He took my hand without even blinking and squeezed giving me a powerful handshake and it impressed me. "George Takis." He then seemed to retreat back into a shell as if he forgot who he was for a second. I frowned, the name sounded somewhat familiar. "Your name sounds familiar."

Parker sat George down and then sat down himself. I followed suit. Parker spoke for him, "George used to be a lawyer he was a defense attorney."

Impressive, but what in the hell happened. "Wow. How many cases to you cover?"

He shrugged, "Some."

Parker rubbed his shoulder, "Don't be modest George. He defended a 50 people."

I say again what happened. This guy seemed to have had a good work life so what could have gone wrong? I wanted to ask badly, but I didn't want to be rude. "50 that's not bad. Did you win many of them?"

He nodded, "Almost all." He took the spoon and began to eat.

I looked at Parker. He mouthed that he would explain later. I nodded and took a bite of the stew and feel in love. Man this was good. "This is so good."

He smiled after swallowing his spoon full, "Thanks, it was my mom's recipie. I found it in some of her old boxes."

I nodded. I wonder how old he was when she died. I decided not to ask. I watched as George scarfed down his food, "I can get you more if you want."