Trouble In Paradise

The rest of the day had passed by in a blur.

I didn't see Jason for the rest of the day. I didn't see Edward either.

I hadn't paid any attention to whatever was happening around me. I was too absorbed in thoughts of Jason and what he wanted to say to me after school.

After an agonising wait, the bell signalling that last period was over, rang, and I gladly rushed out of class.

Out in the hallway, I stopped in my tracks. I realised that now is the time to go meet Jason.

A part of me felt as if I wasn't ready. But the other part, the part that still remembered Edward's words, told me that I could handle it.

I walked confidently, manoeuvring through the swarms of students flooding the hallway.

On my way out, I spotted Edward standing just outside the door.

As soon as his eyes met mine a grin took over his features.

"I was waiting for you to turn up", he said brightly.

I suddenly realised that I still hadn't told him about meeting Jason.

I grimaced.

He was certainly in for a shocker.

"What is it?" He asked noticing my expression.

"Oh nothing. Just that Jason asked me to meet him outside after school and I said yes", I said trying to keep my tone nonchalant.

"What?!" He said sounding incredulous.

"That bastard had the nerve to talk to you after everything he said and you let him?" He said with disgust evident in his features.

"Well, what was I supposed to do?" I asked defensively.

"Look... It's your life and your decisions, but I think that you should just realize how someone's treating you", he said in a soft voice.

I understood where he was coming from, and she really appreciated having him as her friend, but she had a really bad habit of holding on to people. Which was why she knew she wouldn't be able to let Jason go.

Still I give him a slight nod and he turned around to leave.

"Edward?" I called after him as he was leaving.

"Yeah?" He asked turning around to look at me.

"Thankyou... For everything", I said in a low voice.

"You're most welcome", he said to me with a small genuine smile.

I rushed out the school doors to where I was supposed to meet Jason.  

I saw him already standing there, looking around, waiting for me.

As soon as his eyes met mine, he gave me an awkward smile, which I tried to return-but my smile probably made me look constipated.

I slowly walked over to where he was standing.

"Hey", I said slowly, awkwardly, not knowing what else to say.

"Hi", he said back, just as awkwardly.

'Damn Ashley! Why the hell did you agree to this', I curse myself inwardly.

"So, first of all, I just want to say that, I'm sorry. Im sorry for trying to control you, and for not respecting your decisions", he said in a tone that made it quite clear he meant business.

"Okay", I say in a flat voice, taken aback by his 'direct-ness'. "Is that it?", I ask, feeling a pang of disappointment.

"Umm, no. Listen, Ashley it's true that it's up to you who you choose to hang out with and everything, but I just don't want people to talk bad about you, and-" He started.