Too Late

My heartbeat grew faster as I got more nervous. 

I didn't want to upset Jason by hanging out with Edward even when he told me not to; but I didn't want Edward to think that I was rude by ignoring him.

I just stood there, frozen in place.

Slowly, I turned around. The two boys were still advancing from both sides.

I took a deep breath and put my game face on. I could handle it. I would face this situation head on.

Jason reached me first. He was still smiling but his smile quickly turned into a frown as Edward came closer.

“Hey”, Edward said from my left. I turned and saw him smiling at me. I managed a small smile of my own.

Jason cleared his throat from behind. Edward glanced at him as if he was only noticing him now.

“Jason”, he said in a cool voice, giving a small nod.

“What do you want Grey?” Jason said with a scowl.

“Well, I didn’t come here to talk to you. You can be sure of that”, Edward replied in the same icy tone, now a small smile playing at his lips.

“Ashley doesn’t want to talk to you either”, Jason said moving closer to me, glaring daggers at Edward.

I should probably have said something then, but I couldn’t seem to get the words out. Edward replied instead.

“I’m pretty sure that Ashley is capable of making her decisions without your help”, Edward said, his jaw set and all humour now gone.

Jason’s face was as hard as stone now, and I was afraid he would hit Edward. But thankfully, he regained his composure and said in a steely voice, “You’re absolutely right.”

Both boys turned to look at me now. I shook myself out of my frozen state and forced myself to speak.

“Jason... I- I think Edward’s right”, I said slightly stammering. Jason and Edward both wore opposite expressions. A smug smile covered Edward’s face and the look on Jason’s face reflected hurt and betrayal.

I instantly regretted saying what I said. The way Jason looked at me then... It made me feel like a criminal. I knew I would never be able to forgive myself.

“Look, I can explain!” I started but Jason cut me off.

“It’s okay, Ashley. I understand”, he said in a tight voice and even though he managed to hide the pain in his voice, he could not hide the hurt from his eyes.

“Jason, please just listen-” I tried saying again, but he just cut me off with a shake of his head and turned around. As he was walking away, I tried calling him back but he kept walking.

I sighed and leaned against my locker. The smug expression on Edward’s face was now gone. It was now a mix of sympathy and worry as he looked down on me.

“Hey, you okay?” He asked. His eyebrows were furrowed in worry.

I simply nodded and swallowed the knot in my throat.

“Listen, I didn’t mean to cause any problems between the two of you”, he said and took a cautious step closer.

I shook my head and managed a reply.

“It’s not your fault. It’s mine”, I said slowly.

“Don’t you dare blame yourself for something that jerk said”, he said. He spoke each word slowly and carefully as if he was doing his best not to yell. It was almost as if he was willing me to believe what he was saying.

“I just- I didn’t want to hurt him”, I said in a low voice. It took a lot of effort not to start crying right there.

Edward took another cautious step towards me and held both my upper arms with strong muscular hands. His grip was firm but gentle. It was perfect.

“Ashley, look at me”, I turned my head up, and was startled by the intensity of his gaze. He was staring down at me with fierce determination and it was multiplied when he said, “If he cares as much about you, as you care about him, he wouldn’t be putting you through this right now. He should be here consoling you. Not me.”

I nodded my head slowly. I relaxed my shoulders a little bit and moved a step away. It was only then that I realized how close we had been. I blushed at that thought and even he must have realized because his cheeks were also tinged with red. We stood there in comfortable silence for a while before I decided to break the silence.

“Thankyou”, I told him earnestly. I meant it. I now knew what it was actually like having a best friend. Not that I would mind if we were more than friends... I blushed even more at that.

He smiled. A genuine smile. Not a smirk or a grin. It was a perfect smile, meant only for me.

“Anytime”, he said. And I knew he meant that too.  “I will always be there for you.”

We stood there; just staring into each other’s eyes till the bell shook us awake and we broke the eye contact. I realized that we must have seemed like idiots to other people; just standing there with goofy smiles and staring at each other. But right then, I was too happy to care.

I instantly started panicking though and my worry must have been evident on my features because Edward furrowed his eyebrows.

“Is everything okay?” He asked.

“I have this class with him. With Jason”, I told him. I was still panicking and I realized I was rambling because Edward made calming gestures before cutting me off.

“Ashley Please! Relax. Just relax. Deep breaths. Deep breathes. Clam down”, he said and his words seemed to have a great effect on me as my breathing slowed down and my head became clearer. “Just listen to me. It doesn’t matter what he says. It doesn’t matter what happens. Just remember that I will be there for you through it. Okay?”

I nodded. I felt more confident somehow. I felt as if nothing in this entire world could harm me now, and that feeling was enough for me.

“Now go to class, and show that dolt that he doesn’t own you.”

I nod and start walking. I kept my head held high as I walked into my classroom. Jason was already sitting in the same chair as yesterday. I would maybe have sat somewhere else, but all the seats were filled except for the one beside Jason.

I went and sat down, not making eye contact or any kind of conversation. He opened and shut his mouth a couple of times during class but I tried not paying attention. As hard as it was, I managed it.

I survived first period and even though I tried rushing off as soon as the bell rang, Jason caught me before I could.

“Ashley, I need to talk to you”, he said urgently in a serious tone.

“I have nothing to say to you”, I said in a low voice and tried moving again; but once again he blocked me.

“Just meet me after school. Outside. Please?” He said.

I know I should have probably said no, but I couldn’t manage it. I couldn’t say no.

I nodded and this time he didn’t stop me when I tried leaving.

I knew right then that I would regret it later, but it was too late now.

=====================================================================

Authur's note

Hey guys :)

I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter because I put everything into it. =)

If you like it, vote, comment and fan. :D

Thankyou <3

Picture on the side is of Edward. :P