Song of Hope - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Lights of Life was a huge event. People from all over the metro area came every year to the campus of Life College every Christmas to see the millions of lights on display. Some move, some twinkle, but all in all, it is breathtaking.

Sydney had seen the lights every year since she could remember. As a matter of fact, she saw them with her father on Christmas Eve. It was their tradition. Yet, looking at the lights tonight through the eyes of Lacey and her excitement, made the show even more spectacular than it had ever been.

The night was cool, but not cold and it allowed them to roll down the windows and listen to the bell tower chime Christmas carols as they drove slowly through the campus in the long line of cars. Austin smiled at Sydney when they heard Lacey in the back oooohing and awwwing over the “pwity wights” each time a new scene came into view.

Austin wanted to reach out and hold Sydney’s hand and feel connected to her, but he was hesitant. He knew he was falling for Sydney. He thought about her morning, noon and night when they were not together. And when they were together, he felt like he was home. Yet he believed in his heart he was betraying Sonya. So he kept his hands firmly planted at the ten and the two position on the steering wheel.

He had a daily reminder of what life could be like with Sydney. Upon returning home, Lacey had talked non-stop about Miz Sisnee, and she promptly placed the picture Austin had drawn of them at Thanksgiving on their refrigerator. Right next to her drawing of flowers for Sonya.

No, he knew not only he was getting too attached to Sydney, but Lacey was, too. Sure Sydney made him laugh until he was crying, she was beautiful and had a voice of an angel. There is no reason why she was still single at age twenty-eight. Yet, here she was with him, and he could not let himself feel this way. No, he had to remain vigilant against his aching heart.

Before they knew it, the lights ended at the edge of the highway. And sure enough, Krispy Kreme was right there. “Ready for some doughnuts?” He asked with a chorus of yeses. And Sydney was right, there is nothing like a hot Krispy Kreme!

******

The night was cold, Austin thought maybe too cold to even snow, but flurries began to fall as they drove up to Mary and Tom Anderson large house. Their home was bathed in lights from the outside, white twinkling Christmas lights reminded them of the display they had seen just a few nights ago, yet very elegant in trimming the house with candles in the windows and wreaths hanging from red ribbons on each window and door.

The interior of the house showed signs of Christmas just being a few days ago. The large tree in the foyer was still decorated in white lights, silver ribbons and blue and silver ornaments. The grand staircase was decorated in garland and matching silver ribbons from the tree. The marble floor in the foyer sparkled like glass and the wait staff circulated with silver trays loaded with various types of h’orderves to tempt and tantalize the guests.

The party was in full swing by the time Austin, Sydney and Lacey arrived. They quickly found their friends. Austin was pulled off into a corner to discuss the sports of the moment, which in the south during winter included talk of football, in specific college football.

Paul immediately began talking to Austin as soon as they were out of the ladies listening range about Sydney. “Austin, are things getting pretty serious with you and Sydney?”

Austin glanced over at Sydney, she was wearing a cute black overlay dress and the sheer chiffon was almost transparent allowing the nude color of the fabric below to seep through. On the hem and the empire waist of the dress was intricate lacework. All of this was held up by two thin straps of lace showing off Sydney’s delicate shoulders. Austin had a difficult time ever since he picked her up not to wrap her in his arms and kissing her. She was beautiful and deserved to be told so, yet Sonya still weighed heavy on his heart.