Want you to want me (Larry Stylinson AU)

“So what do you say?”

Harry blinked, astonished at the question, he had no idea what to say. His thoughts ranged from ‘is this a joke’ to ‘he can’t be serious’ and back to ‘is this a joke’ again.

Louis Tomlinson had just asked him out.

He stared wide eyed at Louis, trying to formulate an answer. It was hard when Louis was so close. He wasn’t a particularly tall or big guy, but he still managed to loom over Harry, crowding into his personal space with a hand resting lazily next to the younger’s head, on the row of lockers behind him, which he had been cornered into a few minutes ago.

“So?” Louis prompted, confident smile stretched out on his face.

Harry swallowed, eyes flickering behind Louis where half the people walking by were staring shamelessly at the two. He caught a glimpse of Louis’ friends and teammates, all easily spotted thanks to their bright red letter jackets. They were standing not too far away from them, dirty grins on their faces. Harry focused back on Louis.

“I…”

“Yes?” Louis licked his lips expectantly.

“No thanks” he muttered, and before the shocked “what?!” had even escaped Louis’ lips, Harry was already sneaking away under Louis’ outstretched arm, and into the push-and-pull of students in the hallway.

He could hear the loud laughs and snickering that he was sure came from Louis’ teammates, and he shook his head in disbelief before turning a corner and pushing the memory out of his mind.

.

.

.

He sat by himself at lunch. He didn’t mind; not being noticed in school was his goal in life. He ignored everybody and everybody ignored him. He was happy with the arrangement.

Nodding his head along to the music playing in his ear, his fingers played with the bunch of grapes he brought from home and he nibbled on a couple of them before changing songs, turning up the volume so he didn’t hear the loud chatter of the student population.

He looked down at his phone once he felt it vibrating, immediately answering his sister’s message, she was one of the few people he ever bothered to talk to.

Catching movement on his peripheral and looked up quickly, just as someone sat down on his table, right in front of him.

He blinked, eyes focusing on the grinning face of one Louis Tomlinson.

Already mentally tired, he pulled out his earphones.

“What?” he mumbled.

“You said no to me” Louis pointed out unnecessarily.

Harry shrugged, looking behind Louis at the table where the popular boy usually sat with his friends. Like earlier, they were eagerly watching the exchange.

“No one ever says no to me”

Harry told himself this wasn’t the time to roll his eyes.

“I see what you’re doing though”