Chapter 3--Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Off to War We Go!

King Daddy had very carefully kept Prince Claudio from getting near Gabriella throughout the remainder of the feasting. As she fell into a jumpy sleep, she promised herself that she would talk to Claudio about the dark little man the next morning.

            Gabriella awoke several times in the night, though she was never sure why. The last time was just as the gray morning was giving way to the first golden rays of the sun. She peeked through the slightly parted panels of her canopy. Sleep had long since fluttered away and she could only wait in bed for her ladies-in-waiting to prepare her for the day. Due to her nervousness and undefined uneasiness, this was the first day she ever remembering wishing they would hurry.

            The bright sun peeked slowly over the horizon, bathing the fields and flocks outside the castle walls in a yellow glow. It seemed to Gabriella that the light progressed more slowly than it ever had. Finally, just as she was about to get out of bed and choose her own gown, she heard them talking just outside her door. They were whispering, but as soon as one of them opened the door, she could hear them clearly as she peered through the crack in the heavy curtains around her bed. She felt a little relief, as she wasn’t quite sure how to fasten anything on her gowns.

            One of them, which may have been the one smirking the night before, was whispering, “…didn’t have a chance to tell you yesterday, as you’d just arrived. The King is quite insistent that the princess needs models of courtesan behavior, not friends. Prattling is unacceptable. Who knows what other dreadful behaviors she’ll start adopting.”

            Another one, which looked vaguely like the one that had been “prattling” the night before said, “Yes, Miss.”

            The three ladies were approaching the bed and Gabriella was not sure she wanted them to know what she’d heard. Quickly, she scooted back under the covers and assumed the most natural sleeping position she could under the circumstances. The curtain was slowly drawn back and the dawn light spilled onto her pillow.

            “Princess Gabriella,” spoke the first lady-in-waiting. Her voice had again assumed the silky tone Gabriella was accustomed to. “It’s time to wake up.”

            Gabriella opened her eyes and looked at her. It wasn’t hard to muster her usual glare as she laid eyes on the viper. The phrase “dreadful behaviors” still hung in the air with the same heavy presence as excrement.

            They didn’t even twitch. Gabriella’s brain was already spinning with regret. She wanted to scream at her, at all of them, but that would mean admitting she’d pretended to be asleep, which was questionable behavior. If she did scream, that would also prove that her behavior needed managed. Gabriella could feel her hands and knees begin to tremble as she fought to contain herself.

            Gabriella had never really taken notice of her ladies-in-waiting. They’d always been nameless, faceless drones who obediently followed her around and told her what she wanted to hear. They’d always had perfect manners and been totally useless as companions. She’d hated them.

            Underneath their perfect smiles, she’d had a lurking suspicion that their interest in her was based only on her place in the royal family. Gabriella had never considered that they might be hiding scorn underneath their ingratiating behaviors. The memory of a palace dog floated up from her childhood. He had been so beautiful with a glossy coat and lean muscles. He had been as tall as her and although initially intimidated by his size, she eventually grew comfortable because he was so well trained. She remembered the day when his master had left her alone in the room with the dog. As soon as his master left, he was very different and Gabriella remembered the relief she felt when someone had come in answer to her cries. He’d been sent away shortly thereafter.

            If the ladies-in-waiting noticed that Gabriella was shaking the whole time they dressed her, no one mentioned it. They brushed her hair and pinned it up. They sprayed her with flowery scents and adorned her with some pearls.

            It wasn’t until after she was almost dressed that she noticed that they hadn’t brought her breakfast tray. “Where is my breakfast?” she asked coolly.

            The Viper responded, “Your Highness, Prince Claudio has asked that you breakfast with him this morning. He would like to speak to you.” She still used that sticky sweet tone of voice. Gabriella nearly gagged from the sheer duplicity of it. 

            “Fine then. Put the stupid tiara on my head and be done with it. I’m hungry.”

The Minion’s smile still didn’t move as she placed the everyday tiara gingerly on the princess’ arranged curls.

Gabriella dismissed her ladies and waited until she was sure they were out of sight before scurrying down the halls, lest she give them the satisfaction of knowing that this breakfast was so important to her. The morning chill lingered on in the stone hallways with the bite of the coming autumn and the promises of the winter storms to follow. Through the windows, she could see the orchards and vineyards sprawling out into the distance and the workers, like ants, gathering in the harvest.

Claudio’s door swung open before she had a chance to knock. “Gabby!” he said. “What took you so long? I’ve been waiting for ages!” He grabbed her arm and pulled her into his chambers. “So, what to you think?”

“Um…about what?”

“About my big news! Battle! Combat! My first assignment with a real purpose.”

“What if you get hurt?”

Claudio frowned. “I don’t want you to worry. Father and his counselors have been talking to the diplomat and it doesn’t sound so risky. I’ll be fine. I promise.”

“Claudio, about that diplomat. I sat next to him last night and—“

“He’s a bit hard to swallow at first, but he’s very intelligent and sure knows what he’s talking about.”

“Well, that’s not exactly what I was thinking about him.”

“Give him a chance. You’ll see. He has well-formed opinions and a wealth of wisdom to share.” He turned suddenly to the small table. “Oh, silly me. Let’s eat breakfast. I’m starving. I’m sure you are. I was so excited that I could hardly eat last night.” He removed the lid from one of several dishes and began piling grapes, bread, and cheese onto his plate.

“Claudio, from some of the things he said, it sounded as though he wasn’t being totally honest about his reasons for engaging in the conflict. It sounded like he would do anything just to have the city-states united, even get you involved in a dangerous conflict.”

“And what is wrong with a united Italy? Think of the power our land could have if we all acted together instead of bickering.”

“There’s nothing wrong with it, but is that a good enough reason to get involved in this war?”

“You make it sound as though it was the only reason our kingdom was joining the fight. I know Niccolo has quite an obsession with uniting the city-states, but Father and his counselors are well aware of that. They still chose to get involved to gain favor from the French. If we strengthen their trading routes, we strengthen our ties with one of the most powerful countries in Europe. Don’t worry, Gabby. We know what we’re doing.” He shoved a plate at her. “Here, eat.”

She sighed and began chewing on some grapes. Claudio spent the remainder of their time talking about preparations for battle with pauses only to inhale and swallow. They were leaving within the week, hoping that speedy preparations would be repaid by having the element of surprise.

After only half an hour, they were interrupted by a knock at the door. “Your Highness, the soldiers are ready and your horse saddled.”

Claudio’s smile broadened. “Yes, I’m coming now.” He turned to Gabriella, “I will be very busy this week, but we should take one more stroll through the gardens before I go. Okay?”

She’d barely uttered her reply before he had skipped through his door and was gone.