Chapter 28--Someone Sneaky Steals the Girl

Oh, so you wanted to know where Will has been, huh? Well, I guess you'll find out. This is the last chapter *sniff* it's been really fun. I hope you enjoy this really short conclusion. :)

First, though, I'd like to mention that this last chapter is dedicated to XundecidedX for getting me to join the Wattyverse and start writing regularly. She talked me into going to a writing conference a few weeks ago that has changed everything about how I see writing. It's totally fine that there are a million things about this story that need revised. It's a first draft. Also, it's okay that I'm not someone special like Brodi Ashton or Ally Condie. I can still get published one day. See what I'm talking about? Totally different. 

Thirty minutes before:

I am totally naked. The breeze tickled his chest hair.

Will jumped up. “I have chest hair!” He grabbed a fistful of it. What glorious stuff. He was alive and he had his chest hair back.

There were so many things he needed to do right now. Celebrating was on the list, but it would have to wait, if he ever felt like celebrating.

Item one on his list was hiding from Gabby, who would probably look over the edge to see what had happened. She wasn’t ready to see this much man all in one place.

There was a large bush nearby. He rolled underneath it and it seemed just large enough to cover him, but he’d still be able to call up to her. She’d hear as long as she was right at the edge of the wall.

He heard some shouting from up there and a man say, “I don’t see nothin’.”

Were the soldiers looking for him now? He hadn’t done anything wrong except transform from a clammy frog into studly man meat.

Perhaps he should stay hidden. He didn’t know what they wanted with Gabby and knew even less how they’d react to a naked man in the garden minutes before an important ceremony.

Items three through five on his list involved clothing and crashing a party, though he didn’t know why he felt the need to witness the carnage first hand. The grotesque urge felt similar to the time he had gone to watch his arthritic dog put down. This was about love and it couldn’t feel final unless he saw it with his own eyes.

That wasn’t the whole reason he wanted to go, just the one he told himself. If he was honest with himself, he would have recognized the seedling of hope pushing through his insecurities. He was a man again and Gabby wasn’t betrothed yet.

He would have to be fast.

Also, he had no idea where the party was going to be.

Clamping his hands in front of his essential parts—and a small part of him felt grateful to have something to protect once again—he dashed from underneath the bush and into the nearest doorway.

He had no plan of what to do once he got to the party, but he hoped he could come up with something. Until the ceremony was finished, his door was wide open. Most importantly, he hoped that Gabby would one day forgive the intrusion.

If he couldn’t think of a plan, then he would at least have a chance to say goodbye and maybe he would be lucky enough to get trampled by a horse on the way out.

Apparently this was his lucky day all over because the halls were deserted. Everyone was at the ceremony. He ducked around corners and snuck past the kitchen, warm spring air tickling his perfect flesh. It was like a game of hide-and-seek, only naked, and everyone else was ‘it’.

After an eternity in stealth mode, he found some rooms that he was pretty sure were guest chambers. With the entourage the duke had brought with him, someone had to have clothes that would fit adequately.