Chapter 2. Lessons

Chapter 2. Lessons

"Welcome to your new home Aleli," Gina said. She stood aside to let me in before shutting the door behind us. "This is your twin sister's apartment. When Jorge, Tahti, and I came to Earth, this became our home too. And now it's yours. Well at least until Alena returns and sort things out." I glanced around as Gina explained what each room was for. "By the way, this is the living room. Now what did we teach you on our way here?"

"The wiving woom is where you accept guests," I answered.

She clapped her hands. "Yes, that's right. You're a very fast learner Aleli."

Jorge stood next to us with a satisfied smirk on her face. "Makes it so much easier to teach her the better things in life," she said.

"Just make sure that what you're going to teach her is worthwhile," Tahti said behind us. "Something she can use when we all go back to our planet." Tahti's gaze shifted in my direction. It touched my face for seconds before she withdrew her stare and walked away. "I'll go to my room," she said. "Teach her the basics first." She disappeared behind a door.

Meanwhile Jorge pushed Gina in front of me. "I'll leave the boring stuff to you," Jorge said. "I'll take a beauty rest first. Not that I need it. Being an alien like us is perfect." She sauntered to another room, leaving me and Gina alone.

"I guess it's up to me then," Gina murmured. "Let's sit on the sofa Aleli."

Once we were seated on the cream colored couch, Gina began to ask questions. She has been doing this for the past two days since we left the island where I woke up. They said that my vocabulary was good, but since my tongue wasn't used to speaking words yet, I would continue to sound like a child.

Aside from that, they told me that though I knew the meaning of the words, I needed to experience it myself. They taught me the concept of colors, time, numbers, and so many other things while we traveled. Little by little, I was beginning to understand the world around me, though I couldn't grasp some things, like why Tahti conveniently avoided the subject of my twin sister, and why her eyes had a faraway look when Alena was mentioned.

"Anything you want to ask me in return?" Gina said.

"What is walien?"

"Oh. . . You heard that from Jorge huh?" I nodded. She tapped her chin before answering. "Well, an alien is what the humans call us." I frowned at her. Huh? Gina stood up before I could ask further. "Wait right there," she instructed.

Gina returned in a few, bringing with her several white things which she called paper, and a black cylindrical object which she described as a marker. She slid beside me and placed the stack of papers on her lap. She drew a small circle in the middle. "This is Earth," she said. "The sofa we're sitting on is located in an apartment. The apartment is in a city. The city in a State. The State in a country. The earth," she said, pointing to the circle. "Is made up of countries with rules."

"Wules," I repeated. "Principles or set of wegulations that needs to be followed."

"Correct. And all of these countries with rules and such is located on Earth. The species who occupy the earth are called humans."

"A bunch of homophobic fools you mean," Jorge said loudly from her room.

"Hey, don't teach her that," Gina complained. She turned back to me with a smile. From my observation, Jorge always teased Gina, if teasing was what you called pinching someone's buttocks region or biting her arm. Tahti said it was teasing, and Jorge liked to do it with Gina, though the latter enjoyed it very much as Tahti would say.

"Anyway," Gina said, interrupting my thoughts. "The humans believed that they were the only ones in the universe, but in reality." She drew several more circles near the earth, and a bigger circle at the edge of the paper. "There are a lot more species. The humans call the other species aliens. You, me, Tahti, Jorge, our other friend Chloe, and finally, your twin sister are all aliens. But to the humans we're not real."