Chapter 5. Glimpse

Chapter 5. Glimpse

The dream I had last night was so real. Even though I sat in bed wide awake the next morning, I went through a sense of confusion, wondering if I was Aleli or Alena. I've dreamt about her again. My so-called twin. The one Tahti and the others were looking for. Without wasting another second, I went to the kitchen and told Jorgie about it.

"Describe it to me again Aleli," Tahti said. I was lucky that she was still in the house when I recounted my dream. She'd usually leave early.

"In my dream," I said automatically. "Alena was with a male specimen whom she called Niko, and a girl named Chloe."

Jorgie slammed her fist on the table. It wasn't that hard, but it was enough to topple her bottled water over. "I knew it!" she said. "I knew she went with Alena."

"Who?" I asked Jorge.

"Chloe." She frowned. "Chloe is an alien like us. She's a scientist. Months ago when Alena disappeared, Chloe vanished without a trace too. We were worried about her, but didn't know where to search. I suggested that she might have joined Alena and Niko." She turned to Gina with a smirk. "See? I won our bet. I'll bottom you so hard."

"What is that?" I asked before Gina could say anything.

"Something you don't have to know until you're one thousand years old," Tahti said. "Go on with your dream and ignore Jorge."

"She'll know it eventually," Jorge said matter-of-factly. "And she'll love it."

Ignoring her like Tahti instructed, I dove into the tale. "So Alena, Niko, and Chloe talked to another girl and made friends with her. Then they went to a huge castle together. There are statues of people with pointy hats. Oh and wands." I scrunched my nose, trying to remember. "I think there's a broomstick too."

Jorge was disinterested. "Maybe it's just a weird dream. It seems far-fetched to me."

Tahti raised a hand to silence Jorge. "That's possible. But you've forgotten that Aleli hasn't seen pictures of Niko and Chloe before, and her description of how they look are uncanny. If she was able to say what they look like, then the dream must be connected to real life. Let's figure why she was able to see it later, after we've gone to the said place."

"But where can we find a castle with broomsticks, people with pointy hats, and wands?" Gina asked. "You think they have that in Germany?"

"I know where that is, and it's not in Germany." The four of us turned to the doorway. A little girl with a pink bunny headband walked in with a huge smile on her face. "Hi auntie Alena," she said casually to me. "How's it been?"

"Who are you?" I said.

"Let's talk outside Mimi," Tahti said almost at the same time.

The child stared from me to Tahti questioningly, shrugged, then proceeded to the doorway with Tahti. Jorge and Gina were all over me when they were gone.

"You remember what we told you about Alena being adopted on earth?" Gina said. I nodded. They've explained to me previously that Alena was raised by a woman they called Mother in the countryside. "Well that kid is Alena's niece," Gina continued. "She doesn't know that her aunt is an alien, and what's more, she has no idea that Alena is missing."

I frowned. "How were you able to keep the information from her from months?"

"Lies," Jorge said simply. "I told you about this thing called lying right? People do it all the time in this planet. All we had to do was lie to her about how Alena was busy studying for this big midterm, so she could get to a good college. Worked like a charm. The only problem is Mimi can't stay away from her aunt long enough, and now she's here visiting."