Chapter four

The entire next day, Rede and Anne must have been conspiring to keep them apart. Anne took Mrs Darling to the village in the morning. Since she wasn't about, Aldridge accepted Rede's invitation to go riding after he'd dealt with the day's mail, and regretted it when the two men on horseback passed the carriage returning through the gate.

He and Mrs Darling met over lunch in the company of the Chirburys, and he found her alone four times during the afternoon, only to have Rede, Anne, or both enter before they could exchange more than one or two moves in their game.

Had he ever desired a woman this much? Perhaps it was the chase; mostly, they fell into his bed with little effort. Or they didn't, and he looked elsewhere. And she wanted him, too. She might manufacture the shiver of desire when he breathed on her ear, the way she moulded herself to him when they managed a stolen kiss. But the flush of colour on that perfect skin? That was genuine. And he saw no artifice, no calculation, in the lovely eyes.

When Aldridge joined Rede for a drink after dinner, he asked, "Rede, are you and Anne deliberately trying to stop me from talking to Mrs Darling?"

Rede laughed. "Whatever makes you think that, cousin?"

"Please desist? I promised I wouldn't bed her under your roof, but I am trying to negotiate a contract. And it is damned difficult when I can't even talk to the lady."

"Why not leave it till you get to London?"

"First," Aldridge explained, "Mrs Darling has no place to live in London, nor the money to rent anything, until I have the right to provide for her. Second, I am not letting those wolves in London get a glimpse of her until she is under my protection."

"Anne thinks I should protect her from you. She wants to find her a job here in Longford. Or, at the very least, she wants me to ensure you give the woman a fair contract."

"I don't mind a contract. A contract is a good idea. But a job? A jewel like that? She's a courtesan, Rede. It's not as if I'm seducing a virgin."

Rede grinned and slid the port along the table. "Pour yourself another, Aldridge. Mrs Darling has the right to make her own choices. I've told Anne that Mrs Darling can stay in Longford if that is what the lady wants, but I won't stand in your way, either."

"Then please stop trying to keep us apart."

"Very well, cousin," Rede agreed, and conceded, "I'll take Anne out visiting tomorrow with the girls and leave you with Mrs Darling. Good enough? But I will tell her if she wants advice on the contract, I am happy to be at her service."

Aldridge went to find Mrs Darling, but she had already retired for the night.

*****

Rose bundled Sarah well against the cold, blustery day before sending the girl off to the market in Chipping Niddwick with the earl and his family, hopping up and down and chattering like a starling. When Rose turned back to the house, after waving farewell, Aldridge was waiting.

"Mrs Darling, I've asked the housekeeper to set out tea in the library. Will you join me?"

She brushed against him as she moved through the doorway, which clearly set him off-balance, but she gained no advantage because it affected her as much. They had to end this negotiation soon. It was killing her.

Last night, Lady Chirbury had followed her to her room and offered to help her find 'honest work.' She could be a seamstress or serve in a shop, and Lord Chirbury would lease her and Sarah a cottage at favourable terms. "I would suggest teaching, Mrs Darling, since you are obviously well educated, but if your past were to come out... The Longford villagers are good people, but they can be very hard on those they don't understand."