Chapter five

When Aldridge and Rede joined the ladies, only Anne was left. Aldridge was alarmed to hear that Mama had carried Rose off for a private interview, but by the time he got upstairs Mama was alone.

"I hope you didn't frighten Mrs Darling, Mama," he told her.

But the duchess just laughed, patted his cheek, and told him that he was a naughty boy. "Now off with you, dearest, and let this old woman seek her bed."

"You will never be old, Mama," he told her, loyally.

What had Mama said to Rose? What had Rose said? She must have gone to bed herself, for she was nowhere to be found, and didn't appear again until the duchess was leaving in the morning.

Her Grace went down the line, enfolding each of them in a perfumed hug.

"Take care, now, Anne," she said to the countess. "You must eat wisely and exercise a little each day."

"Let me know if you hear from David," she told Rede. "Jonathan always falls on his feet, but I cannot help but be a little anxious."

She hugged Rose next, and Rose looked as surprised as Aldridge. "Remember, dear," was all she said, ratcheting Aldridge's alarm up another couple of notches.

Aldridge was the last in the line, Her Grace having farewelled the nursery party upstairs. "Do not look so worried," she told him, patting one cheek while she kissed the other. He wished she would stop doing that. It made him feel 12 again. Though knowing Her Grace, that could be the point.

"Relax, dear," she told him. "The world is not on your shoulders. Have a little fun."

Her Grace might be the only person in the world who thought his life wasn't totally devoted to fun. Even His Grace of Haverford, who had off-loaded onto his heir almost the entire work of running the ducal estates, continued to insist that Aldridge was a useless ne'er-do-well with no occupation beyond enjoying himself. Mind you, Aldridge was himself at pains to project that impression.

As he waved off the carriage, he wondered idly how long Rose would be fooled.

Right. Time to bring this long negotiation to a conclusion. With luck, they could be on the road tomorrow, and his promise to Rede did not extend beyond the boundary of Rede's estate.

"Rose," he murmured, as they went back up the steps to the house, "have you made a decision? Are you ready to sign?"

Rede overheard, and held back, letting Anne go on into the house without him. "Mrs Darling has asked me to look over the papers for her, Aldridge. You don't mind do you?"

He was rational enough to realise that he should not mind. If he'd met Rose in London, and she'd had a bit of Town bronze, he'd be dealing with a solicitor experienced in such matters, and would think nothing of it. However much he would prefer his relatives to stay out of his business, Rose had a right to good advice.

"Of course not," he assured Rede. "Rose, I am willing to make changes, of course. But I hope we can settle this today."

Rede looked pointedly at Aldridge's fall and laughed. "This way, Mrs Darling."

Instead of following them into the house, Aldridge crossed the porch to the outside door of the estate office. It opened. Good. On the other side of the room, an internal door let onto the study, and he was able to open it a crack before Rede showed Rose into the other room.

"I've had a look through," Rede said, "and it is a fair contract, on the whole. I would like to make a couple of suggestions, however."

"The contract specifies a nurse for Sarah. I suggest changing that to a governess. Anne tells me that she is a bright little girl. You have been teaching her yourself, I understand, and I expect you will continue to do so. But your time will be at my cousin's disposal, and a governess will provide structure and continuity."