chapter 2

On Friday Josh took me to visit my mom’s grave for this week. He seemed extra happy today. I didn’t care, though. When we got there he got out and opened my door. He walked me to her grave. I squatted down next to the gravestone and began my little talk to mom. When I was done Josh grabbed my hand to stop me from leaving.

                “Would you like to go with me to a dance coming up?” he asked.

                “Sure, but why are you asking my here?”

                “Well, back then if a guy wanted to escort a lady to a dance he would have to ask the parents’ permission.”

                “That doesn’t make any since Josh.” I said completely confused.

                 “You said that you always talk to your mom here, so I’ll just ask her here. I promise I’ll not make fun of you.”

                “I talk TO her, not WITH her! You and I both know she’s not going to answer you. You’re being silly.”

                “Well, we can just pretend that she says ‘yes’.” he said with one of his cute grins, “Mrs. Gold, I would like to ask for your permission to take your daughter to the dance. I promise she’ll be in good hands. You won’t have to worry about a single thing.”

                “You know anybody that can hear you are going to think you’re a manic!” I laughed, slightly blushing too. He didn’t respond; he just pretended to continue to explain that he would be very careful and would get me home on time. Finally he nodded and looked over at me.

                “I think you and Jessie are going to have fun picking out a dress.” he said with big smile on his face. All I could do was laugh. We walked back to his car as he explained the details of the dance. It sounds like the dance is going to be a lot of fun. I’m already getting excited about it. It’s in two weeks, which should be plenty of time to find a dress.

                When I told Jessie about Josh taking me to the dance, she shrilled with joy. She grabbed her schedule and started planning when we could go shopping. I have to say that Jessie started rubbing off on me, because now I’m getting all excited. Jessie talked me into going to the mall tomorrow. When we did we had a lot of fun even though we were finding anything we liked. I was having the time of my life until I realized something.

                “Jessie, I just realized something.” I said.

                “What’s that?”

                “I’ve never gone to a dance before. I don’t know how to dance!” I confessed, feeling really stupid.

                “I wouldn’t worry about that. I doubt Josh would care. It’s not that hard.”

                “But still, I’m going feel really bad.”

                “Tell you what, I’ll teach a little bit. Like how to slow dance. It’ll be fun!” she said with a huge smile.

                “Alright, I guess that’ll be better than not knowing anything! Thanks Jessie, you’re the best!”

                “I know.” she said, jokingly.

                “Jessie...I love you.”

                “I love you too.” she replied. Jessie and I do that. If Jessie teases me, I just reply with “I love you Jessie”; and vice versa. It beats saying something mean to the other. It usually just makes us laugh even more. Josh and I even do that sometimes.