Paige

Derek Hale
Three months later

I looked at the girl in front of me with a smirk on my face, she was a pretty girl but I only had eyes for my mate. I bounced the basketball in front of her teasingly and she narrowed her eyes in concentration, but before any of us could move her voice rang out.
"Derek Hale! What are you doing?" It was Prim, I tuned my head and let the ball just drop to the floor. Prim was walking towards me with a slightly annoyed look on her face. I bowed my head in shame as she walked in front of me with a small glare on her face.

"Nothing Prim." I told her quietly, I faintly heard my teammates snickering to themselves. Prim rolled her eyes at me but smiled anyway, she turned to the 'Cello girl' and smiled kindly at her.
"Names Primrose McCall." She said, cello girl nodded and shook Prim's hand.
"Paige." She told Prim who smiled, Prim pushed Paige in the direction of the music room and waited until she was gone before turning to me. Her eyebrows where raised and her expression clearly read, what did I tell you?
"Sorry Prim." I muttered bowing my head even lower, my teammates snickered some words alone the lines or "Whipped" or "love sick" and even "he's a love bitten puppy". But I didn't care, so what if I was love sick. Prim was my mate, and she is mine as much as I am hers.
"Just don't do it again, ok?" She asked me me putting a hand on my cheek, I leaned into it closing my eyes.
"Anything for you." I murmured opening my eyes and staring into her hazel ones, causing Prim to blush.

"Come on, you need to walk me home." She told me, I smiled at her before picking up my basketball and following behind her like a puppy when she turned and walked down the hall. When we passed my snickering teammates I whacked one of them, Jessie, on the back of the head.

~

I grinned as I chased, mine and Prim's new friend Paige and my mate herself into an old abandoned factory. Prim squealed as I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her body to mine, she laughed and wiggled against my tight grip before admitting she lost.
"Ok, lover boy. Let Prim go." I looked at Paige and playfully glared at her before setting Prim down on the ground.

Suddenly Paige looked sad as she looked at me and Prim, my mate noticed this and went up to Paige.
"What's with the sad face?" asked Prim in a concerned way.
"Guys, there's something I need to tell you," said Paige. She sounded sad and her heart was beating with fear.
"What is it? What's wrong? You can tell me," Prim said, gently. "Paige..."
Paige took a deep breath and tears glittered in her eyes as she said, "Derek, Prim. I'm dying."

I heard Prim's heart skipped a beat as my breath caught in my throat. Dying? Our best friend was dying? No. It had to be a mistake. There was no way Paige was dying. But even as I thought about it, I realized it was true. Paige would talk about the future like it didn't exist for her and she'd been smelling of sickness for quite some time.
"What is it?" Prim finally choked out, tears running down her small cheeks.
"It's cancer," she confessed. "I was diagnosed two years ago, and I stopped responding to my treatments. I've got six months left at most."

I swallowed painfully.
"Why didn't you tell is?" That was what hurt the most. Paige's lack of trust. Prim also nodded to the question.
"I wanted to. But I didn't know how," said Paige, as tears streamed down her own cheeks. "I was trying to accept it and get along for as long as I could. But then you happened and suddenly, I had people in my life who cared about me just for me, not just because I'm some child prodigy. I was scared of losing you both. But I can't lie to you anymore, even if it means you're going to leave me."

Prim shook her head an wiped away her tears with her hand.
"That's never going to happen," she swore. "I'm not going to leave you, Paige. You're my best friend and I'm going to be right by your side for all of this, I promise." I nodded in agreement stepping forward. Paige's only response was to tightly embrace me and Prim as we all cried.

~

The months passed so quickly and one second Paige had just told me and Prim of her Cancer and the next both me and Prim cried over Paige's dead body that laid in my arms. My uncle Peter eventually took Paige away from me and Prim and put her somewhere were people would find it. I held Prim in my arms, we rocked back and forth gently not saying anything as my mother, Tahlia Hale, walked up to us.
"I did something terrible." I told her, still rocking a sleeping Prim in my arms.
"No you didn't." Mother said. I squeezed my eyes shut before saying.
"My eyes are different." I told her quietly, I opened my eyes showing her my wolf eyes. Instead of bright amber they were cold steel, blue.
"They are different, but no less beautiful. Just like the rest of you," she murmured as she took my hand. "Come, my son. Let's go home."

With a heavy heart, I allowed mother to take me and Prim home. As long as I lived, I would never forget Paige or the effect she'd had on mine and Prim's life.