Chapter One

© Millie1198 2013 No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the publisher and author.

_____________________________________________________

Chapter One

The screen was bright, blinding my eyes as I scrolled down the page. The possibilities to choose from were endless, and I had a hard time deciding what artist to pick today. I wish I could do this everyday, so then I would have more music, but I can't. Otherwise, it would be a beacon for the government basically stating, 'Hey! Look at me! I download illegal music!'

My mouse hoovered over the genres ROCK & ALTERNATIVE and I clicked on it. This took me to a page with thousands of artists and great musicians to choose from. 

I don't normally listen to rock or alternative, as I usually stick with pop and R&B, but there's a first time for everything, right?

I looked at the top artists, and came across a band called Paramore that has been downloaded hundreds of times. Deciding to be brave, I click on their name and wait for the download to complete. 

"Avery? Are you in there?" My mother's voice said from outside my door.

"Oh, crap!" I whispered harshly. As fast as I could, I hid all my CD's, posters, headphones, microphone,  and anything relating to music under my bed. 

I pulled up another window on my laptop before I ran to my door, tripping over a pile of clothes in the process. I rubbed my head, and got up again, making a mental note to do the laundry. (Which probably wouldn't happen considering the fact that I'm an incedible pig)

"Avery! Are you ok? What are you doing in there?" My mom started to jiggle the doorknob and pound on the door just as I opened it. 

"Ah, sorry, Mom. Just had trouble getting to the door." I said, lying right through my teeth. She looked around my room and scoffed. My mother was a tough woman, but had an innocent look to her. She had blond hair, with startling blue eyes-a totally angelic appearance-but her temper was about as short as a midget's height.

"Of course you are. I told you thousands of times to clean up your room, but what do you do? You ignore me. I swear..." I blocked out the rest of my mother's babbling, as I heard a dinging noise coming from my laptop.

I looked back at my laptop and almost had a panic attack. There was the download box in bright red saying, 'DOWNLOAD COMPLETE: PARAMORE ALBUM'

"What was that?" My mom asked as she tried to look around me. I ran over to my laptop and shut it right away, hoping that she didn't see the screen.

"Nothing." I told her, trying my best to look innocent. Although, I most likely looked constipated by the way how tight my smile was. My eyes refused to make contact with hers, and I cursed myself for being such a horrible actress.

Her eyebrows raised in her way of telling me she didn't believe me, but was too lazy to do anything about it, so she just shook her head. 

"Alright. I just came up here to tell you that dinner is ready. Come down whenever." I nodded and stayed stone-still until I could hear her footsteps retreating down the hall. 

When I knew for sure she was gone, I let out a sigh in relief and opened up my laptop. I burned the album onto a CD and put it with my other ones.I had an entire secret place where I kept all of my music items, so no one can find them. My floor has a loose floorboard that can come out extremely easily, so I just keep everything in there and put my dresser over it.